Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Please help w advice for post surgery WD, Precautions.

miserable1mmiserable1 Posts: 22
edited 02/17/2014 - 12:02 PM in New Member Introductions
I need some info,if someone can please help.
My surgery ACDF X 3 is this wendsday morn 2/19/14
I have been truthful w/ doc about meds I take which is basically between 7/10 oxy 30 ir.
I told him and he agrees should everything go well I want off meds so asked him to work w/me AGREED.
he has prescribed OXYCONTIN 40 mg x8 hrs and 15 mg 4-6 hrs for BT PAIN.
I have never taken OC,I DO NOT LIKE EXTENDED RELEASE PILLS,however,he asked I start like this he consulted w PM DOCS in same practice.
QUESTION is this going to take care of WD for now!
I don't want to be sick w/ screws! Plates! Pain from surgery.
THANK YOU FOR ANY HELP .i am scared out of my mind.
You will know the true benefits of life,by helping someone who can never repay you!

• sandisandi Posts: 6,343
    edited 02/18/2014 - 10:51 AM
    You are taking far too much ........way too much in fact. 7-10 /30 mg IR versions of oxycodone ( 210 mg -300 mg) is way too much immediate release medication. I don't know who prescribed that amount for you, but they did you no favors.
    Oxycontin is the long acting version of the immediate release you were taking, so all your doctor did is to convert you over to a long acting version, giving you 120 mg in divided doses - 3/ 40 mg doses , one every 8 hours, around the clock......and then added another 15 mg every 4-6 hours. That immediate release should have a maximum number of doses per day, so if it is 4 as the maximum dose per day, then you can only take a tablet every 6 hours.....if the maximum daily dose is 6, then you can take them as often as every 4 hours.......however, if I were you , and the goal is to reduce your overall intake of oxycodone, then try to take them every 6 hours instead of every 4.
    You should not experience withdrawal symptoms, since you are still taking oxycodone. And after your surgery, they will most likely put you on a pca ( patient controlled analgesia) pump for the first day or so, then convert you to oral medications before you go home.

Why don't you "like" extended release medications? They are exactly the same as the immediate release, the only difference is that the dosing schedule is different. The pain relief is far more stable and consistant with extended release medications.