Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Synovial Cyst

I have a synovial cyst in my lumbar region. Has anyone ever had pain from a cyst? It showed up on an MRI and I can put my finger on the same area I have pain. I've tried so many things with pain management and have had no results. It's like I'm just a number waiting on a list when I go. I'm so desperate for an answer.

• prusso13pprusso13 Posts: 5
    edited 02/19/2014 - 1:21 PM
    They may want to drain the cyst and inject steroids to soften the tough exterior. I had so much pain from mine because it was against the spinal cord, and sciatic nerve.
  • I had a very large synovial cyst at L5-S1. It caused me a lot of problems, and they had to deal with on an emergency basis.
    Anyway they can be very debilitating, or you may not even know you have one. I had to undergo more fusion, so it was removed at that time.
  • I have 2 Synovial Cysts. One is "6mm in the soft tissues posterior inferior to the right facet joint". The other "Suspected synovial cyst 3.9mm within the proximal right neural foramen". My surgeon said that my pain would decrease when I sat down if they were a problem. I can't sit, it's agony.
    The problem is my surgeons office is over an hours drive. My husband has to take me. It's a very painful journey. By the time I'm talking to him I'm nauseous from pain & my brain goes on vacation. I just accept the things I'm told then fester on them for 3-4months until I see him again!
    I have different pains that go on at the same time. Some, like sciatica come & go with some work. Others, like the throbbing, burning rock of pain at the base of my spine are constant but vary in intensity with meds. Although sitting is more painful than standing (if I can move around) it's a different pain. I'm really bad at describing pain. Sitting really hurts, standing still hurts very much, moving hurts a lot. Lol.
    I've been told that cysts are harmless if they're not pressing on anything. Will they continue to expand? Is it best to have them drained before they grow? I'm 43 so I'm going to be living with them for a long time! My spine changes so much between MRI's they worry me.
    I guess my issue with Cysts is they shouldn't be there! All my other problems are caused by bits of me breaking & crumbling away. I just assumed my surgeon would want to get rid of them. I didn't think it was a 'huge' procedure.

Can anyone explain to me why it would say "suspected" in the description of the 2nd cyst? I didn't get the summary until after my appointment & didn't notice until I was home. Does that mean it could be something else? Yes! You caught me! I'm being a bit neurotic tonight ;-) ha ha. Is there something else that looks like a 3.9mm cyst on an MRI?
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • I have had synovial cysts at my L4/L5. They can be extremely painful! I had a lumbar laminectomy in 2006 which provided me with two years of no back pain whatsoever. The pain returned in a loud way one Sunday morning. For 4 years I again went through all conservative treatment: medication, chiropractic, massage, epidurals, radiofrequency and then last year I had a fusion. I had developed spondylolisthesis, which I learned can go hand in hand with synovial cysts. The motion at the l4/l5 has now stopped so hopefully I will be unable to develop them there again.
    Lumbar laminectomy L-4/L-5, 2006
    XLIF with posterior pedicle screws L-4/L-5, 4-23-2013