Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Med type vs effectiveness

I am not new to this site and I read many post. I please beg not to post copy paste response of where to find and look for info. Im not perfect at navigating thru site. What I want though is my fellow chronic back pain friends on here to give me their thoughts of what I'm asking. Here goes. 4- 1/2 months ago I was prescribed methadone 5mg 1 @ 6x a day to replace oxycodone. I was on 30mg 2 every 6 hours. Now I started getting real intense anxiety with tightening of my upper neck shoulders and having anxiety attacks. Told Dr. And told me couldn't be the methadone. And I wasnt getting relieve past about 3-4 hours. So now changed methadone to 5mg 1 every 4 hours. To my surprise I went from an average 7-8 pain scale to I would say a 2-3 on pain scale for about 5 days. I hadnt had that score for about 10 years. I was so happy. So very happy I couldnt believe it. Well the fifth day was Saturday after Valentine's day.and my stress came back in my neck shoulders and pain is back at a 7 at least. Now I thought I had found the right key combos. I dont knoe I just wanted to do things interact with my family. I actually went to the mall. My close fam. And friends saw it in my eyes my look. Now for the past few days ive actually been thinking about going to E.R. becuase of pain. Anyone here think it could be coincidental on the way I have responded to med. Should I give it more time. Ould it be withdrawal from the oxycodone? I dont want to give up. I want to feel that no pain for a lil bit once again. Oh and the reason I posted on here not on pain meds section. Just seems no one really goes to other sites except this one. I apologize if I should have but I feel like chron ic pain trumps the med part. I see dr tomorrow and yes this is for dr. But I want any similar reactions suggestions. Opinionsm not aski g for diagnosis. Thank you.

• I am confused a bit, because you stated that you were changed over to methadone 1-5 mg tablet 6 times per day or every four hours, then a few sentences later you say that you changed it to one 5 mg tablet every 4 hours, which is exactly the same dose......but the pain relief was better after the change??????
    Stress could be caused by anxiety or an emotional concern. Those things could also be causing /contributing to the flare up in pain or it could have simply been caused by your activities over the last few days. Usually, a pain flare is dealt with by using over the counter and home remedies such as ice, heat, heat patches , over the counter pain ointments and creams, etc.....
    Since you are seeing your PM doctor tomorrow, if I were you, I would discuss your concerns with him and clarify the dosing schedule for the methadone, because it seems a bit confusing.
    As far as withdrawal goes it could possibly be some of that, but you are on a considerable dose of methadone so it is unlikely that that is the issue.
  • I'm sorry if I confused what I was on as far as dosing. At first was on 1- 5mg every 6 hours, then went to 1- 5mg every 4 hours. so instead of 4 a day I went to 6 a day. I saw doc today and it was a good meeting. I explained what I'm going through and says doesn't want to up dose of methadone. Which I didn't as well because I personally think it is behind the anxiety and stress I have been feeling. So wants to try fentanyl 50mcgms every 3 days with the oxycodone 30mg 1 every 4 hours and want to see how I react to that. I did post incorrectly last night and I've re read post and I think I got it correct this time. As far as the methadone does not want me to take it any longer at this point. What concerns me is that the pain is intense in my hip thighs and groin area. Seems as if my spine is being squeezes as a toothpaste tube would be from the inside, Has anyone I mean anyone felt this type of pain. I am being sent for a new mri my last one was Jan of 2013 so been a year. I am not able to walk long distances and by that I mean if I do I get that intense pain in my hips and thigh area. If I sleep on any side left or right leg. There goes that intense pain to hips thighs and groin. I cant wait for new mri and blood work. I hope it was just a flare up like you stated or that it was just that methadone on its own not working. I had always had oxycodone IR since 2004, and I feel maybe just stopping it just like that sort of aggravated my pain threshold, Thanks to all your opinions and advise.