Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Worried about something worse.

Dual_CoRedDDual_CoRed Posts: 2
edited 02/19/2014 - 12:51 PM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hello all. Three weeks ago I went to work and noticed a drastic strength loss in my right bicep when trying to lift a box (about 30%). In 2007, I hurt my neck and experienced the same loss of strength in the same arm, though the strength came back in about a month. I had another MRI last week, and it shows a herniated C5 and C6. However, this time I'm noticing little muscle spasms in various places on my body (arms, legs, back and even face). Although my chiro saw the disk on the MRI, and I went through this before, the muscle spasms have me concerned about some sort of neuro disorder like ALS. My wrist extensor muscles are also weak, but my hands and grip feel ok. I'm not dropping anything or tripping. My legs feel fine. Has anybody had muscle spasms as a result of a herniated disk? Any info would be much appreciated.

• Tired of the painTTired of the pain Posts: 197
    edited 02/19/2014 - 3:05 PM
    Simple answer yes! But don't leave it at that, go see a neurologist or check out a symptom list. Do you have neurological issues in your family history? If so it is even more important.
  • Dual_CoRedDDual_CoRed Posts: 2
    edited 02/19/2014 - 3:44 PM
    Thx for the answer. No neuro issues in the family. It's got to be the herniated disk. Its a C6 herniation, which affects the bicep and wrist extensor muscles, which are the only muscles that are effected right now. I just am thrown off by the muscle spasms.
  • Whenever there is a problem in the spine, muscle spasms can occur. It does not usually indicate a new pathology. The spasms are secondary to the spinal problem, in your case a herniated disc. IIRC it is the bodies way of trying to protect itself/ stabilise the spine.