Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

How To Lose Weight

ChuckRoastChuckRoast Posts: 37
edited 03/03/2014 - 10:06 AM in Diet, Nutrition, Weight Loss
73% of Americans are overweight or obese and in spite of all the diet book and diet aid that number has not gone down. Clearly the medical and diet industry has dropped the ball when it comes to solving the riddle of the obesity epidemic. Is it in the best financial interest of the medical industry to reduce obesity among Americans? Of course not. It is in the medical industry's best financial interest to actually make and keep people fat because with obesity comes hundreds of dollars in revenue due to the many obesity related maladies.

Here's how to lose weight and keep it off.

If you go to your doctor he may give you or send your for weight loss surgery. Both of these are bad options. Medifast is diet plan with crappy pre packaged food and shakes that total between 800 -1200 calories per day. A really obese person will lose weight rapidly on this sort starvation diet. During the starvation they burn all the glycogen (the storage form of glucose) in their liver and soon most of their life sustaining calories come from ketones in stored body fat. Body cells with function best on glucose but can survive on ketones. Brain and nerve cells require glucose. Ketogenic diets like EDITED

Why am I telling you this? EDIT I am telling you this to let you know that most MD are clueless when it comes to weight loss so don't listen to them.

The best way to lose weight is to keep your caloric intake at your basal metabolic rate. To find your approximate BMR multiply your weight X 10. That will get you in the ballpark.

The safe way to lose weight and not damage your body and brain is to lose no more than 1 pound per 100 pounds of body weight per week. For example; If you weigh 300 pounds lose no more than 3 pounds per week.

A farmer would not feed his livestock the slop most American eat because it is just so unhealthy.

The 15% of people who lose weight and keep in off do it for altruistic reasons. People are more motivated when the do it for a loved one.

The more often you eat the less likely you will feel hungry.

Create 6 meals per day that total your BMR. You will be eating ever couple of hours so you won't have time to feel hungry. If you do feel some hunger pangs drink water or suck it.

These meals have to be healthy and wholesome. The need to include .5 grams of protein per pound of your body weight. Protein is the only safe appetite suppressant. 65% of the calories need to come from plant based carbohydrates and the remaining can from healthy fats; learn what they are.

You probably don't know that Protein has 4 calories per gram. Carbs have 4 calories per gram, Alcohol has 6 calories per gram. Fat has 9 calories per gram. If you didn't know this perhaps you are not serious enough about your health and your personal and social responsibilities???? Your doctor never took the time to tell you this because he doesn't know nor does he care to know and keeping you fat means more money for him. I know that sounds harsh but its most often the case.

As you body weight decreased so will your BMR. That's normal and desirable. The diet industry hype about boosting hype about "boosting" your metabolism is mostly EDIT . Exercise will raise you metabolic rate but there really is no pill that will safely or significantly raise your BMR. The truth is the metabolic rates of individuals of the same age, weight and gender vary by 35 calories a day. If you argue with Sir Issac Newton you lose.

Think of all the reasons for why you can't eat healthy meals everyday that total your BMR. The truth is the are no reasons at least not any valid ones. Knowing now that there is no reason for why you can't do this, if you don't do this it is because you won't.

Post edited by Sandi- Please see the forum rules at the link below for more information.
You agree not to post specific physician names or health care facilities , devices or product names on Spine-Health.com.
Post edited by Sandi for inappropriate forum language. The use of profanity is not permitted on Spine-Health forums. Please see the forum rules for more information.

You agree not to submit or post material that is harassing, libelous, abusive, threatening, harmful, vulgar, obscene or otherwise objectionable in any manner or nature to forums on Spine-health.com. This includes the bashing and/or name calling of physicians.

• I have a great physician that has always stressed the importance of maintaining a healthy weight in order to help reduce my back problems. You also have to understand that many people on this site have restrictions when it comes to physical activity. I do agree that maintaining a healthy, "clean" and well balanced diet is important. But just because people don't know EVERYTHING about proper nutrition, doesn't mean they don't care about their health. It's one thing to give helpful advice, but you may want to work on your approach if you want anyone to take what you have to say seriously. You also have to keep in mind that obesity can be related to phycological disorders as well, among other things. You seem very closed minded in thinking that 1). There is a major conspiracy amongst healthcare providers, and 2). Everyone is EXACTLY the same. I wish you luck with that continued way of thinking.
    Progressive DDD
    Chronic S1 Radiculopathy
    Discectomy L5-S1 2002
    Discectomy, Laminotomy/Foraminotomy L3-S1 January 2014
    Bilateral SI Joint Fusion and 2 level spinal Fusion October 2014
  • I'm pretty sure any drug company would LOVE to come up with a cure for obesity. They would make billions.
  • RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    I have to agree with Lcochran4, your post here ChuckRoast is not very accurate. Even with all my medical & spinal issues I am probably more fit now than I have been in my entire life. I do believe diet is more important than physical activity to lose weight but lifetime commitment to both will yield the best results.
    I have lost a lot of weight with just with diet alone and I was probably too thin which is not healthy either. Over the past 3-4 years I have concentrated on building muscle and core strength around my degenerated spine to preserve what I have left.
    My diet still has a lot to be desired but my metabolism has gone wild so anything I eat isn't a problem for weight gain. I would not recommend this form of weight loss or weight control to anyone else. I know it's not right but everyone is different too.

I have seen some people really try hard for long periods of time to achieve weight loss only to be disappointed with their results. My heart goes out to anyone struggling, I know that I am very fortunate and lucky person in so many ways.
    If there could only be a universal solution that would have positive results for everyone, it would sure make it easier. Unfortunately still after all these years there is still no easy answer.
  • NightRiderNightRider Posts: 2
    edited 03/12/2014 - 9:47 PM
    It was a very informative view for me. It is really an interesting fact that in start people do not care about weight gaining and when their weight reaches to an alarming situation then they worried a lot. I think it is best is best to checking our body weight regularly. We must have a weighing scale and portion control scale also so that we can check at any time.
This discussion has been closed.