Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

muscle spasm

is there anything useful for muscle spasms? particularly supplements or creams. i have a t8-t9 small disc protrusion and whilst i have no neurological symptoms at all, the muscle spasms can be particularly bad. i have found that self myofascial release can help and heat but every day i wake up it's normally back. the spasms are obviously a result of my body knowing that my disc is protruding and i worry that unless the protrusion recedes my body will continually try and "splint" the area, the issue is that the "splinting" is the only thing causing me pain! i'm hoping to find a supplement or cream that i can use to keep that small band of muscle relaxed. i've got trigger point injections in a few weeks any other help would be great. (i've had these symptoms for just over a year)

• jon123jjon123 Posts: 46
    edited 02/26/2014 - 3:14 AM
    sorry i should have given a little more detail, i have had an esi and facet joint injections, unfortunately no help at all. i did try a foam roller but found it was to aggressive and aggravated my symptoms (downward pressure on my spine makes the spasms significantly worse) in the area the herniation is the spine "locks" so lying on a foam roller hurts it quite a lot. i use a theracane and can then pin point the muscles that are tight, this coupled with heat does help relax the muscles but it's never permanent. i use voltarol gel on the area before night but again not sure this does a lot. in the past ive had quite a lot of physio with no permanent success.
  • Have you tried using a TENS machine? If anything it will help to interrupted the pain signal.
    Baclofen is a good muscle relaxer. Also a hot pool, hot tub or bath in Epson salts may help a little. I find that massage is the only relief I am able to get from the pain.
  • TENS works intermittently sort of, baclofen didn't help me much i have been on various nsaids in the past but it didn't really help, although when i took them last time it was much more of an acute condition.
  • I use a TENS machine and find that Epsom salts in a really hot bath can help. I also use a hot water bottle.

I take magnesium along with my other supplements several doctors have recommended it.

I was prescribed a cream that's delivered to my door. It's great for arthritis pain in 'small parts' like my fingers but like most topical treatments it doesn't go far enough in to relieve spasms. It does help a little & having it massaged in feels nice. It's weird..it numbs the surface of my skin & penetrates a little. It's VERY, very expensive so please make sure how much is covered by your insurance before you agree to receiving it.

Sorry..it doesn't have a 'normal' name! It's called - 150 Gm KETA10BAC2CYC2GAB6LID5 CREAM. Its a compounded cream. I don't know if anyone receives anything cheaper. It's the best topical cream I've tried but please note..it's not a miracle cure. It gives a little relief & a 'different' sensation & I find a change can be as good as a rest..not really but you know what I mean? ;-)

I'm interested to hear if anyone else has any tips! Trigger point injections really help me for a few months..good luck!
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • that cream i would imagine is a mixture of, probably, ketamine, baclofen, gabapentin going from the letters in it. i'm in the uk and no doctor i've seen has prescribed stuff like that, i've asked for a topical cream but have had no luck. i'm on dosulepin which is very similar to amytriptyline, but again i don't think this does much. they are more for nerve pain. i take magnesium already.
  • Sorry! I didn't notice you're in the UK. You can get Algesal which is a local analgesic cream but it's pretty much aspirin. It helped a little with my fingers but did nothing for spasms but we're all different...some people in England swear by it. You can get a prescription for a few tubes so it works out cheap.
    Have you managed to get a 'real' TENS unit on the NHS? My Dad never has. He bought one out of the papers that was recommended & it was a complete waste of money..you can't even feel it!
    I've tried some of the health shop supplements but they never seemed to help any...they're mostly Magnesium for spasms anyway. Sorry ;-(
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • Have you tried pure, therapeutic-grade, essential oil blends? Is that your kind of thing? It's part of my routine. I have a blend that I (my husband) rub in & another blend that I use in a diffuser. I've never found one thing that's works (for any of my pains) I've just found a combination of different therapys that I'm constantly tweaking...I get by ok.
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.