Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

acdf not fusing?

I am told I need acdf and I'm scared I won't fuse. I'm a little underweight. How old were you / what was the cause of your neck not fusing?

• Why are you worried that you won't fuse?? I have not had surgery yet, I'm scheduled for a one level acdf in April due to a herniated disc.
  • for failed fusion are not following the post op restrictions and instructions of the doctors......if you do as they tell you, eat healthy meals, don't smoke or do things that you aren't supposed to, fusion will occur in most cases.
  • Two surgeons have told be that I have critical spine compression from the c-3 through c-6 which would mean three discs removed. I am afraid to have the surgery because I am afraid the bones won't fuse. I have read that fusions are much more difficult to achieve with multiples and I have osteoporosis and have been taking cortocosteroids for years and will have to continue taking them. I had a broken bone in my foot two years ago and it never healed even after using a bone stimulator for two months. Any advise, suggestions, or experiences you can share will be greatly appreciated. I am very conflicted about this. Thanks.
  • I have been told by two surgeons that I need immediate surgery to fuse c-3through c-6 because i have critical spinal cord compression. I have very few symptoms and am afraid to have the surgery because I don't think the bones will fuse. I have read it is more likely to have non-fusion in multiple level surgeries and I am worried because I have been taking cortecosteroids for years and also have osteoporosis both of which compromise bone growth and I have had a lot of radiation which slows bone growth. I had a broken bone in my foot two years ago that never fused. Any comments or suggestions about your experiences will be greatly appreciated. I am very conflicted about this. Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.