Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

2 Level Lumbar Fusion

Hello Everyone. I am 35 years old and I had a discectomy 1 year ago at the L4/L5 area with a minor clean up job at the L5/S1. While I recovered from the debilitating pain I was having (extreme sharp pain down my leg), I still have pain in the lower back/upper glute area. I have had trouble sitting although I'm ok standing / laying down. Initially doctors told me to be patient and it was part of recovery (could take up to 1 year). Being 1 year now, I am still unable to sit, can only sit for a max of 45 mins before it becomes too much to deal with. For a while I pushed through work working exclusively from a stand up desk before I broke down and took time off to work hard at rehabbing the back (core exercises, swimming,etc). I am much stronger now, lost 25 pounds but still can't sit. I've got a couple opinions and the surgeons are saying that a 2 level fusion from L4 to S1 is the best option although some of them are saying I should try and deal with this if I can. Basically I can't work the type of jobs I have been doing so it's either a career change and simply deal with the quality of life that does not allow me to sit (can't travel, need breaks if driving longer than 45 mins, etc)

I'd love to get feedback from anyone that may have dealt with anything similar. Im continuing to work hard to hopefully get better without surgery, I just don't think I want to alter my entire life and would rather gamble and do the surgery. Am worried the surgery does not help and now I have 2 level fused which can't be reversed

• steeler-guyssteeler-guy Posts: 4
    edited 03/04/2014 - 5:51 PM
    Hi. If you aren't having any leg pain or other pain (like you had before your surgery) I wouldn't want to jump into that fusion so fast. This may be a dumb question but you didn't say if pillows helped?? I'm surprised that your Doc's are mentioning fusion when you can stand, sit (albeit just a little while) and can lay down without pain you had before surgery. You are on a great track by losing weight and doing the strength exercises. Some people take a little longer to heal than others. With what you have said I would keep doing what your doing and give it some more time. You can't undo a fusion and it will affect your range of motion some. If you have any other questions feel free to ask
    4 level fusion lower back
    2 level cervical fusion
    Left knee replacement