Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Introducing Myself - An Ex-Chronic Pain Sufferer

maistralmmaistral Posts: 4
edited 03/01/2014 - 12:48 PM in New Member Introductions
I had chronic pain back-pain twice in my life. The first time age 34, after I had slipped a disc (L4-5) moving a heavy trunk. I was at University at the time and did not feel I had time to have surgery, so I toughed it out for just over a year and after my final exam I had a partial discectomy, which reduced the pain considerably. Six weeks later I was in a new job teaching nursing, but the pain took about 5-6 months to disappear, though periodically over the years it would return occasionally, though only once did I need to take time off work. When I was in my late 50's I split my L5-S1 disc into 4 pieces purely as a result of emotional stress; Three disc fragments were removed, but the pain became almost unbearable, despite large doses of Neurontin. I never got back to work. Then after about 8 years I read a book on how the brain changes according to what we focus on, and realized that as I was focusing a lot on my pain, I was probably keeping it in place through the effect on my brain. It took me a while to work out how to change what I was doing and then I completely eliminated pain from my life for almost two years. My asthma and gastro-oesophageal reflux also disappeared, so it became clear that as they are caused by stress, chronic pain must also be caused by the physiologic stress-response; a state in which the body prepares to fight, or run away from, danger.. I now have occasional pain in my shoulder or back, but I respond to it very differently so it does not bother me..

My intention is to write a book on relieving chronic pain by changing the brain, and I joined this forum to see what concerns people have. I must say that I have been almost overwhelmed by the amount of distress and psychological pain that people are writing about. I would like to suggest some resources that people can access that can help relieve pain. EDIT is a Canadian non-profit organization that advocates for people in pain, and provides cutting-edge information on the cause of chronic pain and how to heal it.

Post edited. Solicitation at Spine-Health is never permitted

Ron DiLauro, Spine-Health System Moderator 02/28/14