Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Doctor won't treat me

Hi. I have two disk protrusions. One at L4-L5 and another 8mm buldge at L5-S1 which has been causing me terrible sciatica since November. The doctor has told me to rest and take Panadol. He has not offered any treatment at all and says it is just about managing my pain. I run out of sick leave next week so I need to get back to work. Do I have treatment options? Should I get a second opinion? Thanks.


  • I would go for the second opinion. It never hurts to have a second set of eyes take a look at your scans.
    Discectomies 05/08 and 04/11, fusions L4-5 Feb 9,2012 and L3-L4 June 28,2012, Staph infection washout 3/2/2012, Bulged L5-S1. SCS trial on January 17th, 2014, which was a success! Permanent SCS on February 20th.
  • I would get a second opinion from a neurosurgeon.
  • LC84LLC84 Posts: 599
    edited 03/07/2014 - 3:09 AM
    There are several other conservative options that haven't been tried such as physical therapy, epidural injections and many more. I would ask your doctor what the next step is since rest and the current med have not worked. If he is not willing to refer you elsewhere for some sort of treatment, then I would get another opinion. Most specialists are on a referral basis only so you may have to see a new primary physician before you can see a specialist. There is a good link on this site if you search conservative treatments for disc Bulge/herniation. Since you have sciatica, I would also ask your doctor if a nerve is compressed, and can it cause long term problems, such as nerve damage if it is not treated? Make sure to educate yourself about your condition, then raise valid questions with your Dr. Hopefully he will realize that it's time to refer you elsewhere, or at least answer the question as to why he has not. As far as work, if you feel you are unable to perform the duties required, then you may want to ask if you employer offers short term disability. Your Doctor would have to confirm that you are unable to work at this time. I would schedule another appointment and ask more questions and hopefully you get somewhere. If not, go elsewhere.
    Progressive DDD
    Chronic S1 Radiculopathy
    Discectomy L5-S1 2002
    Discectomy, Laminotomy/Foraminotomy L3-S1 January 2014
    Bilateral SI Joint Fusion and 2 level spinal Fusion October 2014
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,846
    edited 03/07/2014 - 3:09 AM
    but, as the others stated, I would get a second opinion.
    The conservative treatments all require a doctors prescription.

    Take a look at Treatments
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Hi thanks for your comments. I went go my own GP this morning and have been referred to a neurosurgeon for surgery. It will take months as I am in the public system but at least something is happening now.
  • for someone, and given time and the proper treatment steps, most bulges resolve themselves. Which is why the doctor suggested conservative treatments first.
    Read the step by Step Guide to getting treatment for Spine Pain .......it explains a lot of the steps and gives you the basis for the treatment offered.
  • Someone, and given efforts and the medicine actions, most bumps take care of themselves. Which is why the physician recommended traditional therapies first.
    James Colls
  • dfraser. Are you in England? Your GP seems to be jumping a lot of steps. Panadol - surgery is an huge leap! Please don't get worried about the prospect of surgery, in my experience he'll probably refer you to some therapists for more conservative treatments. If the wait is too long try pushing your GP for a specialist..physical therapy etc they will be better equiped to send you in the right direction ;-)
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • SarahLindeauSarahLindeau Posts: 767
    edited 03/15/2014 - 10:07 AM
    I'm thinking you are just here to tease others.
    2015: Thoracic protrusions C7-T1, T3-4, T6-8
    Dec'13: 360FusionL4-S1 w/bone graft
    2013: 3x2-level disc injections: 12mo surgery postponement
    Dec'12: DiscogramL4-S1
    Sep/Oct'12: Bi-lateral Rhizo AblationsL4- S1
  • buffgirl23bbuffgirl23 Posts: 77
    edited 03/16/2014 - 1:36 AM
    Sometimes you have to take matters into your own hands. How about a spine place? Or do you have to get a referral from your primary.
Sign In or Register to comment.