Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Help please - will a MRI show what is wrong?

Hi all

I am having a lower back MRI scan on Monday to try and ascertain what is wrong with my back.

I have frequent very painful back spasms which result in me being immobile for 1-2 days. I am also having general high levels of pain by caused by spasms and for the past 3 days I've been unable to walk unaided. Getting out of bed is near on impossible. Which is not fun when I have a 12 week old baby and a toddler! This has been going on for 2 months but just gets worse and worse. I feel like a terrible mum! Physio just makes it very painful as does the chiropractor.

I am on diazapam (which isn't stopping spasms), naproxen and codeine.

I have an MRI on Monday but am concerned it won't show what's wrong. Is this likely? Some experienced words of advice would be great.



  • The MRI is exactly what you need at this point. I bet it will show the cause of your pain. If not they will follow with other diagnostic tests. I tripped & fell while carrying my baby. When I tried to stand my leg was completely numb. I could see my foot on the floor but couldn't feel anything. The crippling pain & spasms continued like you.
    Following the diagnostic test results you will begin an action plan to get you back on your feet. Everyone's different, until the results are in it's hard to give advise. I'd hate to recommend something based on my experiences that could cause more pain. Hang in there. It's terrible being out of commission as a new Mum. Your not 'bad' you're just sick! Snuggle with your babies in bed..I hope you've got a great support system to get you through this ;-)

    A couple of notes...
    My specialists have always strongly advised against chiropractic care for spine issues. Please don't continue treatments until you've found the cause of your pain & been advised by a spine expert. Chiropractors do not have the knowledge & training in my opinion.

    If you're breast feeding please phone your OBGYN & pediatric doctor before you take any meds.

    Feel free to PM me if you have any questions or want to chat ;-)
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • Thank you EnglishGirl for taking the time to respond.

    I think you are right, I'm going to stop treatment until I know what the problem is.

    I am combination feeding whilst on the meds as I spoke to a drug breastfeeding specialist who advised this would be ok.

    Snuggles are good - I feel like I had such a good bond with my baby, and I get so envious of others holding her because I can't. I've found a way of feeding lying down which is nice and her smile is the best medicine!

    I hope you are better now?
  • X-Ray wouldn't show very clearly but MRI definitely should. As Fizzlebiscuit said, pretty much most, if not all, surgeons and specialists will advise against chiropractic but recommend you to see a physical therapist. Best of luck.
Sign In or Register to comment.