Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

lower back pain need advise please

Hello, my name is Ryan,
I'm 35 this year, 3 years ago I had a accident at work and landed full weight on my tailbone, it was very painfull to the point where I had to stop working for 3 months, my bottom and back went black, anyway I had appointments with the pain team who have me exercises to do and eventually I returned to work with minimal pain, in the beginning of jam 2012 i was forced to work alone testing truck radiators of which where over 30kilos, while I was able to lift these relatively easy I must have lifted one wrong as my back all of a sudden sounded like it cracked, and the pain was nothing I have ever felt before, I
was stopped in my tracks, and had to sit, I could hardly stand or walk so they phoned my wife to pick me up,
we went to the hospital they x rayed my back gave me a anti inflamitory and sent me home, I went to the doctors and he refered me to pain management again, anyway to make it a bit shorter, I since tried returning to work for 8 months on light duties and couldn't manage the pain so quit, during that time I had been diagnosed with degenerative facet joint athrosis, had facet joint injections and de nervation, they worked for a month or so that's all, went on holiday in 2013 and had to rent a wheelchair as walking was very difficult, and I am also using crutches to take the pressure off my back, I didn't really need them until I started working again, anyway I quit work November 2013 and since my symtoms have got even worse have had my meds changed and now finally they are sending me for a MRI scan.
my meds are now tramadol 200mg twice daily, paracetamol 1000mg four times daily ibroufen 500mg 3 times daily and pregabalin 100mg twice daily.
I really need some advice, the pain management team wanted me to do exercises even though my pain was through the roof, I had two appointments with them to change my meds which when I arrived once the doctor didn't turn up, second one they had cancelled mine as there was only the one doctor!
From what I have heard I should have had a MRI to start with, surely this is medical negligence?!
I'm at my wits send with pain, have had to buy a electric wheelchair for going out, which has been once in the last 5 months!!

• EnglishGirlEEnglishGirl Posts: 1,825
    edited 03/18/2014 - 1:19 PM
    Which country are you in? I can tell from the meds it's not USA.

In my experience I'd rather have my MRI results before I start a physical therapy routine. I had a very over zealous PT once & it did more harm than good. My new PT took one look at my MRI & put big red crosses through half of the exercises I'd been doing! Stretches & exercises are a huge part of my pain management blend but you need to be sure you're dong the right ones.

Given the diagnosis of facet joint degeneration trying to stick to an arthritis diet could help reduce your pain levels. When you return to work is there any chance of you getting a less physically demanding role? I know it's easier said than done but once you've got spine problems lifting & carrying heavy automotive parts is never going to be a good idea..

Until you get those MRI results its really hard to offer any real advise. I know chronic pain can be a living nightmare. Pain, frustration & isolation easily add-up to depression which only increases pain levels. Hopefully Spine-Health can give you the information & support you need to get through this ;-)

Let us know when you get the MRI results (remember to request a copy of the summary) & hopefully you can start to get the answers & treatment you need.
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • that is terrible. I hope you'd get better soon. try to get a second opinion.