Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I'm young can I get some tips from older pain patients?

sourdoughboyssourdoughboy Posts: 1
edited 10/02/2014 - 4:00 AM in Chronic Pain
So I'm 18 and have scheuermann's kyphosis with a 85% curvature in my upper back. I used to snowboard professionally and had a number of sponsors, but as my back got worse it messed up my balance and the pain was too much to even participate. I was doing physical therapy then I was referred to a spinal doctor because the PT thought my kyphosis was too severe to be helped with physical therapy or bracing. I got an MRI and the doc said I'm probably going to need surgery. The surgery would consist of them cutting me open and putting in metal rods. xxxx that. My question is for the people that having been dealing with chronic pain for a while, what do you do to manage it? What medications have a good ratio of effectiveness to side effects? Enlighten me, what would you do if you were me?

========== Spine-Health Moderator Input ============

• 1. Read the FAQ and Forum Rules. Vulgarity is not accepted here, your inappropriate word was x'x out
    2. If you are not happy with the spine doctor's action based on your MRI, you should seek a second opinion
    3. If surgery is a must, you need to know all the Pro's Con's , Do's and Dont's regarding surgery and recovery
    4. Managing your pain, involves various medications and other actions. View the FAQ to see "The Blend"

• The younger person generally recovers much quicker than someone who is older, and once fully healed , does better than someone much older might.
    If you aren't happy with what the surgeon told you, then consult with a few more and see what they recommend, and ask why. You might find that not doing anything to correct the problem may lead to more serious, complex issues later on , as you get older.
    Not considering surgery, without knowing why they are recommending it and what the ramifications of not having could be later on for you, is a decision that might have major impact on your life later.
    At 18, you have decades of life to live, and while you may not see it now, the problems you have at this moment, can significantly worsen and effect your life later on in ways you can't imagine.
    There are times for medical management and there are times for surgery to be given serious consideration, and if you don't know what could occur later if you leave it untreated, it is not wise to shut out the option for surgery until you do know what impact it may have later on, or if you were to get injured.