Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could shed any light on my situation. About two years ago a slipped a disk(l5/s1) and had very intense sciatica, cramps, etc. The doctor gave me vitamin B shots and a program to follow with a therapist. It worked and I hadn´t had any sympthoms for more than a year and a half.

Then about two weeks ago a woke up with a cramp in my left calf, the one afffected by the sciatica. It went away, bit I have had fasciculations in the calf since then, intermitently. The calf also feels very tense, and sore in the trigger points, which I have been able to relax a bit with deep tissue massage. But the fasciculations remain, mainly at night and when sitting. I have no sciatica pain whatsoever, but I feel it must be related. Should I see the Doc? Or wait and see if it resolves with stretching and relaxation excercises?

Thanks in advance.

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    edited 03/21/2014 - 9:30 PM

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • I have spondylolisthesis of l5S1. I constantly get twitches. I thought it could be a dvt but all deep veins studies came back negative. They found a fill defect in a superficial vein but said that couldn't cause my issues. Sometimes my buttons cheek feels bruised...sometimes the back of my thigh...back of knee....or by my ankle. My inner thigh feels that way at times also. My group on each side feels like someone has skewers there...The doc said MRI shows osteitis pubis. I have had 2 scoliosis surgeries in the past...
  • i've had them for a couple of years now. on and off. mostly in my right calf. i also had multiple herniations at l5-s1. are they correlated? docs don't seem to think so. i do get fasiculations in other areas, but not nearly as often. most of them are still the right calf. i'm almost 2 years out from a lumbar fusion in the same area. still get the twitching, but last 8 months or so, i've also got what feels like a cramp in one spot on the calf. causes me to limp when its bad. and it comes and goes all day. went to the orthopedist about it, MRI showed inflammation in the muscle, but nothing obvious like a tear. i've blamed it on the nerve damage in s1, since i have no other reason for any of it.

is it possible, if its mostly at nght, that it fits into restless leg syndome? i've been diagnosed with that as well.
    Microdisectomy / hemi-laminectomy 6/2010 and revision 10/2010
    Cervical fusion C4-5 and C5-6 9/2011
    Lumbar Fusion L5-S1 6/2012