Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

back fusion done or was it?

Hello, I have a question maybe someone has ran across this before. I was told by my orthopedic surgeon in march 2011 he was going to do a fusion of my L-4, L-5. It was from a fracture. I had the surgery and I continued to decline with pain in my back and since 2011 I have had spine injections with only short term minor relief. I have had stimulator attempted but it was unsuccessful as well. I went to having pain in my right leg for about eight months after the initial surgery and it plus my back is horrible. I am now seeing a new ortho Dr. and MRI and cut was done and it revealed I have not had a fusion back in 2011. All that was done was brackets placed with rods and screws no bone grafts were placed in the fracture. My current Dr. said absolutely no fusion was performed and he said he could not see that the surgeon that did my surgery basically did nothing for me to heal. Has anyone had this experience before? Any information is greatly appreciated. Good luck to all you guys. Thanks

• I do not have first hand experience of that but my impression is that bone grafts are not always used. Sometimes the surgeon uses metal implants to hold the two vertebrae together so they will grow together on their own. Like any type of fusion, this is not always successful.