Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What is the best office chair ?

Hi, I am back to work full time and am fining that by the end of the day, my back ( especially lower back is really talking to me). Since I am an office manager I am at a desk alot. Can anyone give me any suggestions to the best office chair. I had fusion in November 2013. Doing great, but still some issues. Thanks Judy

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,849
    Here are some of the Spine-Health articles dealing with this:

Chosing the right office chair

Office Chair Back Support

Types of support in office chairs

I worked as a programmer/adviser/support/manager in IBM for over 35 years. Much of that time was spent behind a computer workstation. In 1990, I was involved with a ergonomic study to develop the best workstation environment.
    We worked with doctors/physical therapist/furniture manufactures/etc. We came up with a chair design that would
    provide support for lumbar, thoracic, cervical support, plus add support for arms and wrist. It was the ugliest chair you could imagine. I was given the chair to test it out. It helped, but really not all that much.

My experiences has netted it down to:

(1) No chair is going to help all that much. The best thing to do is get up about every 55 minutes, stretch and walk around a bit, then come back to your workstation about 10 minutes later.

(2) The big exercise ball. I used to use on natively. Once I got accustomed to it, it provided me with the best support, because my posture HAD to be perfect. Today, you can see those exercise balls, built into chairs and other modifications.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • i don't know if this will help, but i teach and have had major pain issues at work and at home. working with HR, a person came out and evaluated me by taking pictures of me walking, sitting, and standing. they also did a questionaire and with all of the above they recommended some things which i won't go into because the list is too long but one thing they insisted on was getting me a new orthopedic chair. it cost a lot of money and my administrator was ticked off due to the expense and also that she had to deal with my back issues. so they bought the chair and put it in her office to give to me and what do you know, she wrote an e-mail to everyone because someone came in and stole the chair. i don't think the stealing bothered her as much as the loss of a lot of money. they had to take monies from one funding to pay for my chair because it was mandated by the district that i have one.. well what do you know, a few days later, it magically was found in her office. so i finally got my chair and i have had it for 3 years. now when i retire, i am not sure what i am to do with the chair. maybe they won't miss it. if i don't ask, don't tell. we will see what happens with the chair because my principal is also going to retire.
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • I asked my facilities department to find a good chair for me and they brought me the Herman Miller Embody chair. I love it! It's a little pricy with the cheap model being $1100, but if you can get your company to spring for it, it's totally worth it!
    Synovial cyst removal in 2008. L4-L5 facet joint.
    Lumbar fusion at L4-L5 in December 2013. TLIF posterior entry
  • jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    A previous employer that I had worked for 11 years thought he would get me a nice chair for when i came back from surgery. My old chair had stuffing coming out of the arm rest and the back of the chair. This chair fit my body perfect.. My first day back at work i thought to myself that was very nice. I hated the new chair and begged my boss for my old ragged chair back. He told me " do you know how much i paid for that chair??" Long story short he ended up going to storage and bringing my old chair back. Long story short we had a agreement when a new client came in i had to use the new chair and hide the old one.. Yes it looked that bad. When i left for a new job i even asked if could take the chair with me. lol
  • giggleoozaggiggleooza Posts: 1
    edited 07/28/2014 - 8:13 AM
    One of my favorites for the price right now is the Berkshire Executive chair . It's rated #1 here . It has sturdy support for my husbands large frame, and a great mesh back.

Link removed, solicitation not permitted.Please read the Forum rules
    Post Edited by Liz The Spine-Health Moderator Team
  • BumbliciousBBumblicious Grass Valley, CAPosts: 5
    Does anyone know of a chair with a back that moves forward (i.e., more than 90 degrees) so that when you are leaning forward (especially to type), the back of the chair continues to support you?  Having a $1,100 chair is great, but if my back is not being supported by the back of the chair, I  don't know that it matters.