Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

How Do I Cope With Low Back Pain While Trying To Work?

I feel like I'm at the end of my rope. The leg pain is so sever and I'm a tax preparer. I have my own business but have struggled to make a living for my family that last five years. We are in the process of going through a house fore closer and this is stressful as well. I'm trying to work all I can but the pain is so severe that finally today I had to stay home. I have tax returns piled up in my office and a bunch I brought home. How do I keep working when the pain is so bad. The leg pain is relentless and I can't sit very much. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can keep working and cope with the pain? I enjoy my job and don't want to lose our business or house but I'm afraid that is what is going to happen cause I can't work and handle the pain.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,846
    I wish had answers for you.
    Taking narcotic medications is not the answer for you, especially since you are involved with Tax returns. You need to have your mind as sharp as possible.

You could try a few things to help reduce the pain, even for a little while

• - Portable Tens Unit - can work wonders in reducing pain
      - Aroma/Music Therapy - There are many essential oils combined with relaxation music that can calm things down
      - Mediation - I've seen it work wonders for many, I've tried it, but was totally unsuccessful
      - Heat/Cold Therapy
    These are just some of the things you could try.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Where I work, there is someone with similar issues who has risers for his computer screen and keyboard, and he stands most of the day. I'm not sure if you're in shape to do that (I'm not) but it could be an option for you.

The portable TENS unit helps me. Worth a try.
    (see profile for medical details)

I *heart* my TENS unit.
  • medications to see if they provide enough relief for you to continue to work? A cushion on the chair you are seated at might help as well ,especially if the pain worsens when seated......
    after tax season maybe talk to your pain management doctor about a trial spinal cord stimulator to see if that provides enough relief so that you can continue to work.
  • Maybe sitting up in bed with pillows propped up behind you? And/or have you tried Lyrica or neurontin which is supposed to help with leg pain? I tried neurontin & had side effects that definetley affected my concentration, but everyone is different. I'm so sorry for you, I know what you are going through.
    We can't always control the cards we are dealt in life, but we can control how we play the hand