Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hi I'm Jennifer and I have been suffering with chronic pain since 2005 after I had my daughter and a very bad car wreck. I would like some help and waiting on laser surgery but in mean time having to be on fentanyl 7cg patches and oxycodone 15mg x5 a day and patches generic and other is to. What is a more effective break through med I can try. I have bulging disc at l4-l5,s1 and ddd and fibromyalgia. It's gotten worse and worse
Jennifer Neal

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,858
    edited 04/01/2014 - 4:47 PM
    Welcome to Spine-Health and how to get started

You can use the above message and links as a reference in how to navigate your way around this site. Please reading the Forum Rules now can avoid potential problems down the road.

Could you give us some more information about your condition, how long have you had it, what other medications have you been on, what treatments have you been under, etc.. All the things that are outlined in the FAQ
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Jenjcjess05JJenjcjess05 Posts: 20
    edited 04/01/2014 - 4:56 PM
    I'm 30 and husband disabled and have a 9 yr old daughter and I work full time and I stay in pain from morning to night. I feel at end of the rope.
    Jennifer Neal
  • Hi Jennifer. Welcome to Spine Health. Sorry to hear you've been in pain so long. It must have been really hard dealing with a new child and new pain at the same time. As for the breakthrough pain, I'm not sure which medication would be better. Everyone reacts differently. Have you mentioned that you are not satisfied with your pain control to your doctor?
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,858
    talked to you about surgery?
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
    edited 04/02/2014 - 5:50 PM
    Yes but she says stay on til may when I see her. I have had injections in office and nerve blocks and epidural injections water therapy chiropractor I work very hard and boss uses me and I have gave health insurance to **EDITED ** for laser surgery they can fix all three spots but she will let me know cost three days cash it's 13500.00 I pray it cheaper with insurance but if not in network much more. I'm a youth pastor also very involved in church but it affects everyday life bad it has changed me I don't know I used to self medicate and got me in trouble I have tense unit heat cold idk what to do I'm going to see get brand name meds since met my deductible and see if helps more. Thanks

Post edited to remove name of medical facility. It is a violation of the rules of Spine- Health to mention medical facility or physician'snames.
    5.10 You agree not to post specific physician names or health care facilities names on Spine-Health.com.
    Jennifer Neal
  • It's been 10 years and tried all kinds of meds just no relief where pain is swells and goes to hips legs feet arms neck
    Jennifer Neal
  • Welcome to Spine Health........there are several other options than relying on the opiates to manage the pain you are having, instead of looking for "stronger' medications. You are already on some of the most potent and at a higher dose than I am, with a spinal cord injury....
    DDD is a normal finding for most people, and a bulging disc simply means that the disc material is a bit over the margins where it normally sits on the vertebra, not necessarily that it is a problem. That can occur just from the way you laid during the MRI.....
    Laser surgeries typically are not covered by insurance since they are considered experimental in nature and there is little information regarding long term outcome. Most of those places want to attend to one issue at a time, rather than dealing with the entire spine at once....so it would be wise to make sure that they are not going to have you come back to fix the second problem, and then the third.

Chronic Pain Treatment

DDD Resources
  • ive been to several doctors and one says herniated one says bulging there is two on my sciatica and I'm willing to try whatever it takes to get out of pain even with mess I deal with a level of pain 8-9 all day and night. when take mess it helps for maybe an hour then flare up it swells from middle of back both sides of backbone up to neck and down to hips Burt and all way to hips my new doctor also diagnosed me with fibromalgia. injects didn't even phase pain it made it worse. I'm just telling you what xray and Kris have said since 2005 updated every 3 years. ive even been off meds and I couldn't walk dress self do anything but cry in horrible pain. in 2007 I had bad car wreck and that's when mri said had another buldging disc dds and bone spurs and anterior wedge. I'm just seeking out options where I will get off meds and have no more pain and live a normal joyful life.
    Jennifer Neal
  • And feel your pain. I have not struggled quite so long as you. When you had the car accident were you insured? Was the other driver? How long do you have to wait before you get the surgery. I agree with Sandi that the meds seem to be a lot, but we all react individually to meds. I have actually read somewhere, could have been here, that there is a test that can tell you which meds your are more genetically prone to do better on. Some people actually have a tolerance for certain medications naturally and will not find relief regardless of dose. The other thing I would suggest that has saved me as far as work goes has been those Therma care wraps. It seems lame, but it really helps to deliver heat directly to the sore areas without having to be plugged in all the time. Relaxation techniques, deep meditation and prayer can also help because it can take the focus off the pain and deliver you from it for a little while. I understand that your husband and daughter need you, but if continue to do things and put their needs ahead of your own, you will be of no use to them. May God bless you with relief from pain and stress and give you peace.
  • mcjimjammmcjimjam Posts: 307
    edited 04/02/2014 - 5:09 PM
    If your pain is high all the time, your PM might prefer to adjust your long-acting med rather than the BT med. Anyway, that is his call. Just be sure to voice your concerns with how much pain you still have and how it affects your day to day life. I think it is hard for a person who has never been through it to imagine what it's like to be in pain all the time, so it is probably important that we try to describe it to our doctors. How it affects relationships, a persons spirit, ability to enjoy things etc.
    edited 04/02/2014 - 5:51 PM
    thank you all this is really lifting my spirits yes I have tried wraps and I wear back brace to work and tried diflenac patches lidocain patches probabley spelled wrong sorry. I have also told doctor my whole life situations she has raised me higher with lt pain and kept bt same which have told her the bt I don't even feel it. I use my heating pad and ice tens unit but just cry and cry cause I cant stand being on meds. I called and gave info of insurance she said be a couple of days then let me know age said would do best they could price wise knowing my situation she is lovely. I pray its a lot cheaper than cash price 13500.00 and I pray worship God sing get prayer it is short lived but I'm grateful for the little relief praise God but sitting walking anything swells it up and its like someone burning and stabbing and reaching into my lower back grabbing backbone twisting and trying to rip out bones from neck down to toes. I'm in counsiling dealing with anger due to past and pain trying to get self in a more peaceful joyful place I think of people worse than me but then comes flare up and I'm down again ive told doctor. where is that forum tired of the pain about meds that might help better. I have high tolerance as it is and always going my rest is sit then try to sleep and then pain wake up crying pray self back to bed or stay up and eat til pass out its miserable at times I tell God please take me but I'm here for my youth at church community family ti walk this out and trust in God and speak healing and life into self easier said than done. thank y'all for replies it helps me some people judge don't understand and this place is wonderful a divine appt
    Jennifer Neal
  • sorry about putting names I fixed last one I need to read rules please forgive me first time on forum
    Jennifer Neal
  • well I got call about surgery. its on hold due to insurance company putting preexisting when they said wasn't and new got insurance just for insurance and its for 6 months they told lady at spine center cant do til match but August just got off different insurance due to new job.. she said call and prove I had it. then they update my insurance and go from there. does anyone know about this or been through this. with first insurance at work I waiting a year then had all four injections during that year and 2013. I pray when I call and prove had linsurance and what i they covered they will drop pre existing so I can have laser surgery. if not I have no money to do the surgery. any suggestions I might have to go to utmb and go that route where they can help by my financials. thank yall
    Jennifer Neal