Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Update on metabolic testing

Kevin (EMG guy) posted about the fact that his Dr ordered some lab tests to see how he metabolizes drugs, & once the results were in, his Dr came up with a whole new med plan that has helped him a lot. Besides pain meds, it can also tell you how you metabolize antidepressants as well, which a lot of us are on.

Since reading this, I've mentioned in several posts that I would like to have this done as well, & many others have expressed an interest too. So I thought I'd pass on some info. that may be useful if you want to have it done.

1. It does not appear to be a very common test. I asked both my pm dr. & psychiatrist if they would order it, both said they had heard of it, but have no idea how to order it, & neither expressed an interest in learning about it. My wonderful I-don't-know-what-I'd-do-without-him PCP has heard of it, & was willing to do the research & order it for me.

2. If you are interested & your Dr doesn't know how to order it, here are the names of the tests & cpt codes. You can google the test names or cpt codes & you will find a whole lot of information about each specific test. The info is pretty technical; if anyone has time to look these up & summarize, in layman's terms what the differences are among these tests, it would be great if you could post it.

#1 = CYP2D6 cpt is 81226
#2 = CYP2C19 cpt is 81225
#3 = CYP2C9 cpt is 81227

3. Since this is not a common test, it's likely to need preauthorization. I suggest before you talk to your dr about it, you call your insurance & see if/how much of the cost they will cover.

I ran into a bit of a snag with this; my PCP is out of network. This means if he orders the test I have a 30% copay, which would about $450.00 (the total cost is $1,500). So now I am on Dr #4, my Ortho, who is in network.

One way or the other I am going to have this done, even if I have to pay the $450. I think it could make a huge difference for me. I will keep you posted on this process, & my results. Since it's not such a simple thing to do, maybe anybody who tries to do this can post about it too, so we can all learn about the process.
We can't always control the cards we are dealt in life, but we can control how we play the hand