Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Kidney Stone Meds v. Back Pain Meds

Hi all,

I had the great displeasure of having a kidney stone yesterday. I now know what 10/10 pain feels like! The ER doc came in and said he was going to order meds and I should feel better soon. I told him that I was on pain meds for my back at that point. His demeanor changed a bit and ordered Toradol and Zofran. The Toradol didn't take away much pain, but it did take the edge off of it so that I could get a CT done.

Once he confirmed the stone (actually two of them), he ordered Dilaudid for pain control which really helped. He then came in with my KASPER report (drug report for KY) and started reviewing it with me. The med I'm on now wasn't listed. I explained that my doctor moved to Indiana and I have to get my meds filled over there. I gave him the name of my PM (which he knows the guy). He said he was reluctant to send me home with any pain meds because of what I'm already on for my back. I explained that I cannot take my back pain meds for any other condition or it will throw my pill count off. He then said he was going to send me home with Vicodin. Then I had to explain that it won't work because my body doesn't metabolize Hydrocodone or Oxycodone. Then I really got the look from him! He asked how I know that. I explained the test where they swabbed my mouth and ran a test. He then lightened up a bunch and explained to my wife and I how that test works. He did go ahead and order Dilaudid for pain management with some Zofran for nausea and another med to help pass the stone.

As I was up most of the night I was thinking about how the whole thing went down. I understand now how people who are just beginning with Pain Management could have just said "ok" to taking meds intended for their back pain for other type of pain. After all, it's a doctor telling you to do it. Most of the people on this site knows that doing that is a no-no and will get you in big trouble with your PM. If I wouldn't have described everything in detail to the ER doc, there is the chance I wouldn't have been able to get the right meds for the stones. The takeaway point I realized about this is to be able to tell the treating doctor as much detail as possible about what you take for our spine issues and be able to describe it all as well. I'm going to add the info to my "drug card" in my wallet so that if I'm not able to talk for some reason, the doc will know what's up regarding my meds.

Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2

• i too have kidney stones along with back surgeries and chronic pain, i also have a urologist along with my back surgeon and pain dr, if i had a stone attack i called my kidney guy who would either see me immediately or call the hospital for admittance. i know who the other doctors are and they are all contacted. one issue was to tell the doctor that you could not take vicodin which is a red flag to tell a dr that you can not take some med because of this or that. it sounds like to the dr that you want stronger meds especially saying that the naisds did not help, i recommend getting a urologist along with a back surgeon and pain doctor and keep all informed of what is going on. you could have had the ER dr call your pain dr to explain that you are taking pain meds but your count should not change if you are taking them as ordered. i don't keep a drug card because i don;t take that many meds. i take 2 for pain and one for cholesterol and one for blood pressure, but once again, get a urologist to have when you get stones and they can also find out what is causing your stones. mine were due to urinary track infections so this was treatable. if it is late at night and you cannot contact your urologist you can call the doctor on call and see what they want you to do. there is always a dr on call if your regular doctors are not aviable to treat you. when you get to the hospital they will have you check in and to know what meds you take and a list of your doctors. this is standard when checking in.
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • MSGMSG Posts: 296
    edited 04/05/2014 - 6:37 AM
    The first time I had one I thought it was an ectopic pregnancy (back when I had all my "plumbing"). My husband called 911, because we had no idea what was going on. The "fun" NOT! thing about ks is that the pain comes out of nowhere! It's not like a lot of other pain that starts off kinda mild, it's an instan 1 million! Your fine one minute, & BAM! You are knocked flat!

A chuckle about that story is that my husband had been in the same ER the night before with his mom, who looks very young. Then he shows up with me, & some of the same nurses were working, & boy did he get some funny looks!

I've had a few more since than, so now I know what's going on, & it's not as scary as the first one. But they are no fun, & you can end up down & out for several days, even if you pass the stone, the whole experience is exhausting. One thing you can do to help prevent them in the future is make sure you are drinking tons of water. I wasn't very good about that, but now I drink tons. I sure hope you are feeling better soon.

So sharing your story proved a point I have talked about in other threads: how valuable having that metabolic testing done can be! Vicodin is the standard pain med for ks, at least that's been my experience. Had you not had your testing done, you would have ended up with a drug that would have been useless for your pain!

You are also right on when you mention how a person who is new to the whole world of PM could innocently end up getting themselves into a whole heap of trouble! That's why this forum & people reading about each other's experiences is so important, there is so much to learn from each other!

BTW, since you can't take oxy, what meds are you on for your back? Also, I've mentioned you several times in posts regarding metabolic testing (your experience is what gave me the idea), but I think I called you Kevin instead of Keith a couple of times, I apologize for the name mix-up.
    We can't always control the cards we are dealt in life, but we can control how we play the hand
  • I'm sorry to read about the kidney stone and just the confusion over the medications and such. At least the ER doctor was cooperative enough to hear you out and check into the database for your med records......he sounded like he was being a bit wary but compassionate at the same time.
    I really need to get the do's and don't of doctor visits thread started for this forum to help others avoid the pitfalls of an ER/Doc visit for a painful condition and what to do in those circumstances so that they can avoid winding up in a mess because of having pain meds at home......
    I hope that you are feeling better today.
  • That would be awesome to have! Dealing with ER's is the worst!
    We can't always control the cards we are dealt in life, but we can control how we play the hand
  • sandisandi Posts: 6,343
    edited 04/05/2014 - 7:00 AM
    point......once I get done with the mod thing........LOL
  • I have a urologist, but I haven't seen him in a couple years. This was my first time with kidney stones and certainly hope the next one comes out fast and small! Sandi - the new board concerning doctor do's and don't is a great idea. I bet that could help a lot of people.

Susan - I take Oxymorphone for my pain since oxycodone and hydrocodone do not work on me. No problem calling me Kevin...I get that all the time!

Jon - You hit the nail on the head about worrying that I was trying to get stronger meds. The doc probably thought the same thing until I told him about the DNA swab test that was done on me.

I'm hoping to be back to normal by tomorrow. Thanks all!

• thoracic spine painthoracic spine pain Posts: 566
    edited 04/08/2014 - 7:40 AM
    Sorry I took post down. You can look up the cure on the internet and try it if you want to. Worked for a friend of mine.

Always remember, do not take any suggested 'fix' from members. If you are serious about something you read here, contact your doctor first before trying anything
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Moderator 04/08/14
  • EMS GuyEEMS Guy Posts: 914
    edited 04/05/2014 - 11:56 AM
    I'll put that one in my book of cures to try next time. Although pureed asparagus may induce vomiting with me!

• I can see the coke thing, because if you put a tooth I a glass of coke overnight, it will desinigrate. I've also seen all kinds of other uses for coke, like cleaning toilets. But asparagus? I don't get that one, but I guess it couldn't hurt to try these, though you might end up with a stomach ache :)
  • thoracic spine painthoracic spine pain Posts: 566
    edited 04/08/2014 - 7:41 AM
    Post removed. Pm me or look up the cure for free. It did work for a friend.