Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Chronic back foot abdominal pain

I'm destined to have chronic pain after a l4/5 disectomey laminectomy and Ddd at l5 s1 joint so my surgeon says. He handed me a back brace and prescription for Celebrex . After six months of office and home physical therapy I'm at my breaking point for constant frustrating pain. Just last week had 4 facet joint injections. For pain and inflammation . Felt a little. Better for a. Couple of days with rest but as of today lower back ache pain returns . Should. I. Continue with exercises and strew bing or should I back off exercises and stretching or continue onward with present program. I pulled weeds with my son todAy and am sore and feel as if lower back is some what weak and aches. Having trouble finding any balance with body on pain And usefulness as a man of the house. I could use some advice thanks
Kevin Quigley

• Hello. I am sorry to hear how bad you are suffering. I can offer no medical advise just a bit about my experience, i had suffered a severe fall on ice getting out of my car. I was in my 20's. I used advil, heat, ice and a chiropractor.

For the past 10 years, i suffered from excrutating back pain. I was in pain management in 2003 and started injections, narcotics and the tens machine. Everything was quite expensive. This back issue robbed me of my daughters toddler years because I could not pick her up physically. It was awful. I lived this way for 10 years. Last year everything changed. I saw a pa and she blew over my diagnosis of a collpased disc. This pain was new and different. It kept me from vacationing in Myrtle Beach because I can't lift a suitcase or drive 12-15 hours solo.

Based on the diagnosis, I had with the collapsed disc I went to see a neurosurgeon. Within 10 minutes we had a diagnosis, surgery date and a brace. It happened at once. I did my best planning. I had a TLIF on my L5/S1 I have 2 rods and 4 screws. I do not regret it for one day.

As for pulling weeds, this is something I could not due before the surgery, let alone after.
    L5/S1 TLIF July 18, 2013
    4 Screws 2 Rods and BMP
    Post surgery L4 Dermatones
  • after 3 spinal operations and many procedures in the pain clinic AKA the torture chamber ! I feel that after 17 years spinal surgery is fraught with problems .some have a few and some have lots unfortunately I am the latter ...I have numb lower legs but painful feet and numb toes I also have intractable spinal pain lower back I have tried everything to get rid or just relieve the pain that drives me mad !! ..the only thing that helps is rest on my recliner and lots of pain meds ..and that is about the size of it FOR ME ANYWAY .. others may be different ..I do know some that are almost back to normal .,but its normally a small back operation they are younger and fitter than me ..I know that older you get the more pain you feel ..even showering is hard work ..and ..just try this count how many time you have to bend in one day . you will be surprised ..I HATE bending it hurts so much and it get me so flustered when I can't do stuff ..there was I time when I was optimistic about the future but I am a realist and after 17 years of pain the last ten making me virtually housebound I have come to the conclusion that my spinal surgery have not been a success ...I had the wrong guy at the wrong time ..my first surgery was straight from the road to the ER so I got stuck with the on call orthopaedic surgeon ..he was not very good and I knew nothing about spinal surgery then ..if I had the guy that did my last operation at first maybe things would have been a lot different for me ..the first guy over did the surgery the second guy made a total mess trying to put right the first guys mess then the last guy has the sorry task of making two guys mess better ...he did his best but its not good enough and now I have complications for all the surgeries ... you could try swimming if you are able I know that walking makes my pain so much worse but if you can walk then do so ..slow stretching may help too and a decent TENS may also help you ..hot and cold may help ..I have mentioned these because in the past I have used then all but now nothing helps apart from pain meds and rest ..good luck .....don't fall for gadgets that say they will take your pain away ..they are a con !!
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • Your surgery was in the last 6 months or so , right? Spinal surgery recovery is a journey, not a destination.......in other words, you are going to experience ups and downs in recovery....and it sounds like a lot of the pain you are experiencing is neuropathic in nature, so there are options out there to treat that kind of pain. If the nerves in the canal or the foramina were compressed prior to surgery, then it can take some months, and sometimes longer before the nerves recover.
    Sticking with the excercises and trying to increase them a bit , as time goes on. Recovery is difficult, and there are times when you have to push through the pain a bit in order to move forward in your healing but at the same time, be wise in learning when to push and not to push.
    There are lots of options to treating the pain you are experiencing, including the use of TENS, heating pads or patches and topical ointments to ease muscle pain, the use of muscle relaxers, medications such as gabapentin, or lyrica, or cymbalta to treat neuropathic pain, and more......
    We all understand how frustrating it can be , recovering from spine surgery, but you will get there......you just need to stick with it