Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L5 S1 Disc bulge and cervical spine issue. Grrrrr.

I'm a 33 y/o male, and a new member. I was diagnosed with a small bulging disc at L5 S1 almost four months ago. I get pins and needles down the back of both legs. Also, I can feel some pain in the front of my quadriceps from time to time. My calf muscles twitch whenever I sit or lay down, also I get numbness and twitching in both of my feet. The numbness is located more along the bottom of my feet, usually around the big toe. The twitching drives me nuts, and I have yet to find a medication that helps and allows me to function in life. I move around slowly, and I just want to rest. My neurologist believes most of this twitching and numbness is caused from my back. A surgeon's PA said she didn't believe the herniation was significant enough to cause this type reaction. Also, I have a bone spur in my C4/ C5 are in my neck with moderate stenosis not causing cord signal change. While the PA said she knew some surgeon's would perform surgery, she advised not to have the procedures completed due to my age. Anyway, my big question is this, has anybody else had the same symptoms I am experiencing caused by an mild L5/ S1 herniation? Also, how did you cope? Will this ever go away? Getting desperate. :( MY next appointment with my neuro is in a few days. Should I request to see a different surgeon? I'm not wanting permanent nerve damage.