Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Waiting in pain

quinneyqquinney Posts: 3
edited 04/13/2014 - 11:24 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi, I am lurker who has came to the end of my tether. I have suffered from neck pain for about 8 years not helped by a small RTA at the time. An MRI showed spondylosis and I was advised to have facet joint, the second time I was in so much pain that they had to stop the treatment. After of TENS machine, physio, acupuncture and fentanyl patches (I am allergic to NSAID) I was able to get my life while still being in pain. If I had any worse pain then a small course of diazepam and and some extra physio did the trick.

Fast forward to end of August start of September this year I woke with a lot of pain had the usual diazepam but nothing happened, my GP increased my fentanyl to a 50, still nothing couldn't use my tens machine or heat and ice packs because the pain, then after having a shower I felt like something had snapped, my partner took me to a & e and apart from doing an x-ray and giving me co-codamol did little. My GP tried to get my MRI scheduled asap but I heard nothing. I was already taking pregabalin for TN so that was increased because I was getting pain down my arm and fingers, by this time I was practically bed bound, I have special grooved pillow that cushions my neck, I was losing tons of weight because I was in so much pain and could hardly mechanically eat, cut up food or chew. It felt like the joy had gone out of my life. My partner took me to A&E because I was crying in pain, this time to EDITED To remove facility name ** I was treated so much better, the nurses, doctors were lovely and I was told that although they couldn't move my MRI date forward from November the 18th, they did give me oramorph which did help for a while. I was still in agony but could sit up with the family for a couple of hours in the evening in a high chair. My MRI was cancelled the Friday before it was due because the bed was stuck I was told it would be arranged asap.

In the meantime I was due ulnar release on my other arm and I told at my pre-op that I wouldn't get my surgery until my MRI was done so I had MRI on the 7th and op on the 10th of December. I waited until the end of December and went to see if my MRI had come through, it hadn't but he went through the portal and looked worried said he was going upstairs to see his secretary to fax an neurosurgical appointment urgently as my scan had shown bone spurs at C2 and bulging discs touching the nerve at C3, 4 and 5. Finally I thought something was happening waited through most of January; nothing. Finally phoned up and was told that I was not going to see anyone one for a couple of months, I cried. I then got paralysis in my right hand for the second back down to( EDITED to remove facility name ) I am glad to say the feelings slowly started to come back to hand and finger. The A &E Dr argued that I needed to be seen as soon as possible, so I got booked to see a neurosurgeon in a couple of days but was told it would be EDITED TO remove facility name hospital. We arrived there 3\4 of an hour early there was nowhere to park and my partner ended up dropping me off in case I missed my appointment, this was a problem for me because of meds I forget stuff. It wouldn't have matter I was in less than 5 minutes, I didn't get to see the person I was meant to but his registrar. First of all I felt I was messing his day up by being there. He took no back history, didn't want to know what meds I was on and I told that my MRI showed that bulges in my neck were not touching enough to cause the pain I was in and the nerve pain was probably me elbow, told my I could have some physio, when I finally got to say that I had had physio before and kicked me out the door. I was in hysterics all the way home, my partner angry.

When I went to see my GP the next their attitude was at first, well they are the experts until they found it wasn't the surgeon that I had seen. I was told to complain to the surgeons secretary and complain about the attitude and that I wanted to see the surgeon. I couldn't phone I was too upset so my partner did. I got a call the next. I was told that it was the person that I complained about thatddecided whether anyone saw the surgeon or not, I was told I could but only after nerve conduction tests.

In the meantime after the second visit to the physio I was told that there was little he could. I went to the pain clinic where I was told that the first doc was right I didn't need surgery, he was more worried about me being addicted with the oramorph, yep so addicted I haven't touched it since. After seeing this Dr who also happened to say if you have been in pain longer than 3 months then surgery couldn't help.(.EDITED for language )I had waited that long for an MRI. He also told me the person who I saw first was physio and not a Dr by this time my blood was boiling and I had no respect for the man sitting opposite me, he tried to catch me out by asking if I could touch the top of my head and I said yes with my left arm but not with the other.

Last week I finally had my nerve conduction test done by a neuropyhsioligist who has confirmed pain is coming from neck and just because the discs are barely touching doesn't mean it isn't causing the pain I am in. Where do I go from here, I have hardly any trust in doc I see apart from my own. I am in agony hardly get out of bed. My weight is dropping like a stone. Sorry for any mistakes this has been hard work, the other thing sleep is something other people get

Post edited by Sandi- the use of foul, obscene or vulgar language is NOT permitted on Spine Health.

Post edited by Sandi- Please see the forum rules at the link below for more information.
You agree not to post specific physician names or health care facilities , devices or product names on Spine-Health.com.