Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

To all the golfers out there...

I've been dealing with chronic low back pain since my back went out 7 months ago. MRI showed mild bulges in the L3/4 and L4/5 and a small annular tear in L4/5. Began PT a couple of weeks ago. Pain is dull and chronic and seems to have plateau'd over the past 4 months. Flares up when sitting. I've been doing a lot of core strengthening exercises but the back still feels very weak. Swinging a golf club is out of the question at this point.

After 7 months I'm clearly concerned about how/if/when I'm going to get back on the course (especially with the nice weather finally here in the NE). I'm curious as to what has worked for some of you.

• I'm a keen golfer, and my game had been disrupted on and off for the previous 3 years as I battled to recover from one form of treatment to another until I underwent a revision L4/S1 fusion last February. That was the biggest disruption to my game, as both prior and just after surgery golf was out of the question. However, within about 6 weeks I was out walking some of the course as part of my rehab, and by 12 weeks had begun some gentle swinging and then gradually increased my rounds until I was able to play 18 holes. I have found that the golf itself is of little concern to my back, so long as I am careful, and the walking is extremely beneficial. However, I have to get around in balance with my meds,me during I take them before, during and after most times, and can't play latter moon rounds as by that time I can't handle the walking as well.

I think it would be beneficial if you were to work with your Physio to establish a set of exercises that will help with maintaining your core stability, whilst at the same time also assist during your normal swing plane. It would also be worthwhile ensuring you follow their advice on warming up / down exercises too,doesn't have to be anything elaborate, but some simple, focused, stretches before the round can really help. I have also found comfort from wearing a compression top, initially I used one that was specifically built for golfers by Under-Armour, however these don't appear to be made anymore so now wear a more standard compression too just to add some extra stability.

Wish you all the best, Nick
  • infusionsinfusions Posts: 1
    edited 04/15/2014 - 8:12 PM
    There is a great treatment called Prolotherapy. Blood is withdrawn, separated to produce stem cells which are then injected anywhere in your body that needs ligaments, tendons,muscles strengthened. Check out His utubes and explanations are great. Usually this is done by an orthopedic doctor. I have used it in both my shoulders, back. It is great for healing,the area injected becomes youthful, consequently reduction of pain.

Post edited. Forum rules prohibit the naming of specific doctors, the links to these websites violate forum rules

Post Edited by Liz