Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Lower back pain

I have had ongoing lower back pain for just over a year now. I have had physiotherapy (including soft tissue massage and acupuncture) taken painkillers (NSAID and codeine) and I am in constant pain. My physiotherapist referred me for an MRI scan for which I haven't seen the results yet but I am struggling to sit in a chair at work, or walk up stairs, sleep and generally move about without painkillers.

I am 31 and before I had this pain (which originated by lifting my baby nephew) I was fit and healthy, ran a few times a week and had never had this specific pain although I had previously had sciatica.

My pain is located specifically right at the bottom of my back in the sacrum, although it feels like it comes from the muscles/joints either side. I have pain in my right hip when walking up stairs and when getting up from a sitting position. I have pain that runs down my right leg into my hamstring but not quite reaching the knee.

The physiotherapist indicated that they don't expect to see anything on the MRI, they are only doing it because my pain has not resolved with exercises or treatment.

I am stuck in this limbo while waiting for MRI results and not having any treatment. I am tempted to pay for further treatment myself, but I don't know what. further acupuncture, massage, or a chiropractor?

I am fed up, I want to run and swim and be active again. My doctor seems to think that I have to accept some level of pain and discomfort and to just get on with it.

Any advice as to where to go next?