Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

21 Year Old Standing lower back pain

Hi All

For the past few months I have found it almost impossible to stand for more than 3-5 minutes without having to bend forward to alleviate this pressure in my lower back, it is really frustrating. Saw my physio who said my alignment, posture, flexibility etc etc was all fine but that my core was possibly weak? Seeing him weekly now for core strengthening / Pilates but am honestly not seeing any difference. Cut out squats and deadlifts at gym however I am still seeing no difference.

Been stretching my hamstrings like crazy + other stretches / core exercises.

I can sit for extended periods of time, I can run, jog and walk. I just cannot stand still, it's really depressing 6'7" man crippled by his back.

Any suggestions?

• Have you had an X-ray? How long have you been going with the core stuff? If you focus on a good core tension when you stand in place, does 5 minutes become 10?
    Grade I Spondylolisthesis L5-S1, bilateral pars issues
    Mild Scoliois double curve
    Arthritic activity in SI area and L5 through L3
    Chronic headache
    Nerve pain
  • Have you seen a doctor to find out what is causing the back pain and inability to stand up for an extended period of time. Core strengthening is good but if you don't know what is causing your spine pain, then you really can't treat it effectively.

• Hi All

Haven't had an X-Ray yet. Saw the physio who thinks that my TA muscles are too weak and that I should start doing basic pilates. He did an ultrasound of my core that showed that my TA was quite weak compared to other lower abdominal muscles.

I had been doing core stuff e.g. planks, bridges etc for about 6 weeks however this may have been in vain as I wasn't targeting my core correctly.

All sounds a little psuedo sciencey to me however I am willing to give everything a chance!
  • I went to a doctor initially who wanted me to have an MRI however I was a little reluctant, at $400 I thought I would try physiotherapy that is covered by my health insurance
  • An xray is done to check for fractures, alignment and tumors, it really offers nothing in the sense of determing what the soft tissues of the spine look like, nor if there is any nerve compression going on. It would be best to find out what the cause of your pain is, then work toward effective treatments, and the proper physical therapy to treat the correct problem. Until you do that, you are just guessing at what might be causing it.
  • vdenisvvdenis Posts: 2
    edited 04/21/2014 - 5:50 PM
    Do you have any nerve-related symptoms in the leg, hip or groin area (tingling, buzzing, numbness, spasms, sciatica, etc)? The question is whether that pressure you're feeling is muscular or disc-related (or both). This physio's hypothesis could be correct, but as others have stated, without a scan of the lumbar spine, there's no way to know for sure. I know it's expensive, but if you can find the funds, I personally think it's worth the MRI (or at the very least a CT scan). Without it, you're just playing guessing games. My physio wouldn't give me an MRI until I tried PT, and after 2 weeks, the PT told him I needed it because she couldn't do her job properly without knowing what was going on with my spine. Sounds like you're in a similar situation.
  • TarenTTaren Posts: 525
    edited 04/21/2014 - 5:54 PM
    I think you are gonna need to figure out a way to get the MRI, it sounds like you need one. If you cant stand for no more than 5 minutes w/o having to lean forward to get relief, then there must be something causing that. When you lean forward does it completely relieve the pressure you describe having?