Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

To exercise or not to exercise

I am having a sciatica flare-up due to DDD for a few weeks now. Took 6 days of oral steroid, which helped a bit and now on prescription anti-inflammatory. Having done no exercise but mild walking.

I am very hesitant to start exercising because there were times when I felt better, I started stretching and it aggravated my sciatica. Today was a better day and I decided to give it a try again, because my hamstrings are extremely tight, which according to what I read, can contribute to the sciatica. And again, it seemed to do more harm than good, although not too much.

I am really confused as to what to do. Can anybody share your experience?

• Yes, I will share my experience with this...I am just getting over a 2 week flare-up. The first couple days, I couldn't do anything without causing extra pain, but as the days went on I began doing more stretching, gentle stretching of course and kept trying to walk. I can honestly say that the stretching and walking did not make me feel any better at first but towards the end I felt all I had been doing was helping. I noticed when I would have a day or 2 when I didn't stretch or walk, I felt much worse even seem to hurt more...so I strongly advice during a flare up to keep as active as you can, use common sense though, your body will let you know when you need to stop. Also, I used a lot of heat and ice, hot soaks along with the stretching and walking. Hope this helps & you are soon feeling better.
  • Feeling better today, so I stretched and walked more, which didn't make the pain worse. Will keep being active from now on.
  • You are welcome, SJ, hope you continue to feel better :-)