Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

jinkyjjinky Posts: 20
edited 04/21/2014 - 7:36 AM in Recovering from Surgery
I had posterior cervical decompression and fusion of c2c3c4 on Feb 7 for instability and pain was doing good.

All the pain went away at 6 weeks but at 8 weeks it came back( sharp pain) and now it is 10 weeks and I am getting sharp pain shooting up the back of my head once in awhile. Doesn't last long. Muscle on that side of my neck is tighten up when this happens. I take 1 muscle relaxer at night but none in the day time. If it stays like this I can live with it but praying it doesn't get worse.

It seems if I turn my head a certain way or when I sit too long. Also feels like a tightness on the side it comes on.
I had instability from arthritis and have been off of celebrex 13 weeks.

Maybe when I get back on celebrex it will go away. I know before surgery they said the sharp pain was from arthritis. I think stress causes me to tighten my neck up.
One Tylenol #3 will take it away.

Also I never wore a collar....just when I went to the store. My doctor doesn't use collars.
I see the NS for the first time since surgery on April 28th so will see what he has to say.

...Hope this gets better. I have to have a xray before the appointment. ...... MRI. I don't know with screws in our neck if I can have one. ?. Just wondering.

Please what do you think? Don't sugar coat it... Without celebrex my whole body is in pain. Pain the fusion has started and maybe I can get on celebrex again. Forgot to say c5c6c7 all has arthritis too...thanks jinky

• I will just tell you my PERSONAL experience.

I had a C1-C2 fusion using the Brooks method (wiring) and my own bone graft in January 2011. Initially, I had some pain relief, but I'm not sure if that was from the surgery or the nerves being damaged when they cut me posteriorly. Like you, I had some initial pain relief. My surgeon had me in a soft collar but only for 6 weeks or so. After that time, my pain started increasing and then I even started having numbness in my hands and feet. They did series of x-rays and CT scans, and determined in August or September that it wasn't fusing and the bone graft was resorbing. Hence, the wires were loose and rubbing on my nerves. Ouch! So, they prescribed a bone growth stimulater....wore it daily for 4 hours. Still no fusion. I don't smoke or drink, didn't take anti-inflammatories, and took all of my supplements like a good patient.

I had to have a revision surgery in January 2012, and the surgeons (new set of drs, my previous surgeon doesn't do the Harms method) performed the Harms method using screws and also my own bone graft and BMP (bone morphogenic protein, which isn't approved for cervical use, but I was a 'high risk' patient). My surgeons insisted that I wear a rigid Miami J collar 24/7 (except in the shower, when I had another one to wear) for 6 MONTHS. I followed the same protocol with the vitamins, etc after my second surgery.

In my opinion, I feel like not keeping my neck immobile was a HUGE factor in my failure to fuse. My husband also thinks so....his analogy is when you have a sore that is trying to heal on your knee and you bend it, the scab breaks. He felt like any time my neck would bend (even a little, not on purpose) it would break any beginnings of a fusion, and once the bone began resorbing the tightness of the wires was compromised, causing a lot of pain.

Like I said, I am no doctor......I only have my own experience. Have you had your 8 week check up and x-rays yet?

Keep us posted!
    April 2011 C1-C2 Fusion (Brooks wiring)
    January 2012 C1-C2 Revision Fusion (Harms Technique)
    2010 - current: Trigger Point Injections, Epidural Injections, Bilateral C2-C3 Radiofrequency Ablations
  • jinkyjjinky Posts: 20
    edited 04/21/2014 - 8:59 AM
    I go on the 28th of this month. It will be eleven and a half weeks since surgery.....first check-up. How are you feeling now? I am 73 and a widow and don't know how I could go through all of that. wow!!!!! jinky
  • I have good days and bad days......I'm only 39 but feel like I have the neck of someone that is twice my age. My grandmother is 87 and gets around better than me!
    I am thankful that my neck fused the second time around. I'll be thinking about you - let us know what the Dr. says.
    April 2011 C1-C2 Fusion (Brooks wiring)
    January 2012 C1-C2 Revision Fusion (Harms Technique)
    2010 - current: Trigger Point Injections, Epidural Injections, Bilateral C2-C3 Radiofrequency Ablations