Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What's something told to you that's helped you on your pain journey?

Lmr106LLmr106 Posts: 119
edited 04/23/2014 - 5:58 PM in Depression and Coping
Mine is from my friend Kelly. I was filling out a form to volunteer at her agency, and I came to the occupation question. Those that have seen my other posts know that losing my job due to my health is something that's been very hard for me. I asked Kelly what I should write. She said, "Put social worker. Just because you don't have a job anymore doesn't mean you aren't one. It's a profession, not a job."
2000- spinal fusion, complete spine due to scoliosis
2012- pain began, started treatment for chronic pain
2013- install of pain pump, procedures to address complications
2014-blood patch, spinal fluid leak

• Is I don't have a lot of control over the cards I've been dealt, but I can control how I play the hand.

I've also been telling myself to focus on what I CAN do, instead of what I can't.
    We can't always control the cards we are dealt in life, but we can control how we play the hand
  • Two things from two people, the former from my Chiropracter
    "Be Gentle with yourself" by the Hon. John, member for SH/
    William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod

Welcome to Spine-Health

• I know I have said some negative things about Doctors but I met one
    the other day that I can honestly say not one negative word.
    I have posted before I am on a journey to get to the bottom line
    of taking meds which I have become tolerant too. It is a very difficult journey.
    He said " You should be proud of yourself with all the health issues you
    are going through and to have dropped so far on meds is commendable"
    I walked out of his office even more determined to do it.
  • When I was in recovery from my neck surgery, the nurse said don't fight the pain, get ahead of it. If you fight the pain you put too much stress on your system and the stress increases pain.
  • 'The Truth', in my case the old saying "The truth will set you free" was very true. For years I was told 'it will get better' & 'we can eliminate your pain'. I know a lot can be said for positive mental attitude but when it's not true it just results in too much anger & frustration. I finally met my surgeon & he spelt things out for me. Once I accepted my condition & accepted my pain I was free to change my life & expectations. For better or worse this is me & I'm ok with that....most of the time! ;-)
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • Nicely put, EnglishGirl
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,862
    I had a family and I wanted to enjoy them the best I could So I needed to be the best I could and would do anything to achieve that. No one needed to say a word.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Ron, I have been trying hard, for a couple of days, to think of something that some has said to me that has helped me through my pain journey, I couldn't come up with anything until I read your post. Like you, no one has said or had to say anything to me, I just do it. I do it for myself and for my family, I want to be present for everything in my and their lives. In the end that is what counts not the amount of pain I experience.
  • "You are doing the best that you can". It has helped me to hear that because I feel so much guilt and shame for not being able to do more. I am 23. I should be working, studying, travelling etc. Instead I'm living with my parents on welfare, just trying to make it through the day. Pain is only one part of the reason for my life circumstances. I have psychiatric illness and that has been a barrier to achieving goals and living a normal life since I was in high school. The pain is more recent. It started last year in July. It just makes every day so much harder. It is so hard to enjoy anything. I am struggling with thoughts of suicide lately. I think the pain is a big factor, as my mental health is fairly stable at the moment. I told my psychiatrist I don't think I'm depressed, just deeply unhappy. She agreed with me. Anyway, I've gone off on a tangent, but it really does help to be assured that I am doing the best I can under the circumstances.
  • I've been reading your posts for a while now & it still amazes me every time you say how young you are. You are wise beyond your years. Kindness, compassion & intelligence radiate from everything you say. There is a wonderful life waiting for you! Chronic pain breaks us all at times. I know exactly what you mean, I think they call it 'Situational Depression' when you're just miserable because of something & not because of a chemical imbalance. How can we be human & not feel that at times? Life is a lot harder for some of us but I try to recognize the strength & insight that come with the struggle. I've always loved this quote,

“Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.” 
    ― Kahlil Gibran

I love your words, "You are doing the best that you can", that's all any of us can do. 'Normal' people don't realize how much bravery it takes just to get out of bed some mornings!

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tommorrow."  ~ Mary Anne Radnacher
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.