Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Power Tower vs Inversion Table- whats the difference? equally effective?

Hi all,

Just looking for some basic preventative spinal decompression exercise routine to help keep the back from developing compression problems over the long haul.

I've seen the inversion tables and they are affordable- however I'm a little concerned about the circulatory and eye pressure issues, etc even if they might not apply to me .....who knows if they will? At any rate it seems unnatural to hang upside down, and I see the arguments online that we aren't 'evolutionarily geared' for this. So I'm looking for alternatives.

My question then is about the Power Tower. You can look these up online, basically its a simple pole with arm support and pads that you can raise yourself up and let your legs hang, you can do leg raises or whatever you like also (most have a chin up bar also.)

So.... obviously if you use a Power Tower, you are exerting some decompression force on your spine by letting your legs hang. Is this as effective as an inversion table, much less effective, or not comparable? Would you 'hang' say as long on one of these as an inversion table, more, or less? What about gravity boots- helpful, or excessive, possibly dangerous?
Any issues with stress on your shoulders, arms or other problems that might result from using one of these for any extended periods. Just thought I would get some opinions.

Not to throw in a distraction but there is also an inversion chair, which seems somewhat similar to an inversion table but you are in a sitting position.

? ? ? ?

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,868
    edited 04/24/2014 - 5:53 PM
    and a hundred other items for sale to 'cure' your spinal problems.

I have been seeing things like this for over 30 years now. Many of them are just devices that you really dont need to accomplish the same thing

In the end, the best methods for achieving the most from your spine are simple exercises that your physical therapist has shown you and what you can do on your own. No need for equipment.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I crazily used the power tower after my accident when I was in the hospital gym. I loved power tower exercises before my accident. I did a lot of shoulder and scapula damage. The physio told me not to use it but I thought five minutes couldn't do any harm. Five minutes put me out of action in incredible pain for 5 days. I wouldn't use one if you have shoulder or scapula damage.

I use the inversion table sporadically and just found it again. The inversion table works for me as I have a crush injury and it helps my vertebrae open up, and helps the one that is out go back into the correct alignment. I can use it myself although bending down to strap my feet into it isn't fun, I've found out a way to bend my knees so my spine doesn't take the strain. Mine has a back that you get support from, so there is no pressure on your shoulders or scapula.

Bit scared to use it if I'm alone - don't want to be found hanging dead upside down - just joking. I usually feel better after I use it and my posture is much better. I have never had any eye pressure problems but I use it about 5 minutes max at a time. Take a break and maybe use it again later. I don't think they are meant to be used for long periods. That could likely cause pressure. It's also a yoga exercise to stand on your head. This is standing on your head with no effort and back support, your arms are folded in front of you and you use your legs to right yourself.

Guess it depends on the cause and type of spine pain you have.