Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

After Surgery Pain

I had a 6-level cervical laminectomy with fusion in October 2012 due to severe stenosis. It was the most painful experience in my life. Prior to surgery I experienced little or no pain in my upper extremities --some mild twitching and cramping in my arms and some weakness in my arms which I felt when lifting myself up on my elbows while getting out of bed. For many years I also had pain in my lower back (sometimes severe), in my right thigh (also quite severe at times) and extreme weakness in my legs, especially navigating stairs. The original surgeon I saw said I needed surgery in my lumbar as well as cervical spine, but the cervical problem required more immediate attention. He told me that the longer I waited to do this "the more dangerous the operation and the less predictable the outcome". Two other surgeons agreed

Now a year and a half later my legs are getting weaker. After the surgery I felt pain only on the left side of my neck; now both sides hurt. I have nerve damage in my right hand. I have constant stiffness between my shoulder blades and my arms are grower weaker. Driving, working on my computer, doing anything that keeps my neck in the same position for too long is getting harder to do. Since February I've also experienced new, very scary feelings in both arms -- I get awful cramps in the crook of my elbow when I bend them such as when talking on the phone. When the cramping starts, I immediately need to straighten my arm at which point I experience tremors in my hand and forearm and pain going straight up the back of my arm to my shoulder.

In 2013 I had PT for the upper extremities which helped somewhat but I seem to be regressing. I'm currently undergoing a PT regimen for my legs, including the Graston technique which is helping my right thigh considerably. My legs are NOT getting stronger. My surgeon recommends I do the surgery for the lumbar to strengthen my legs, but after my experience with the cervical surgery I'm afraid I'll be worse off.

I've highlighted here the most severe of my symptoms -- there are many others I've had for years and those that have developed or worsened since the cervical laminectomy.

Is this a common result after this type of surgery? Can anyone tell me if I will get better or worse with time? Other than surgery, is there another course of action I can take that will strengthen my legs? I can manage the pain, but the weakness has got me worried.

Any comments will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

A
PITN
advertisement

Comments