Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

21 year old desperate for answers about new pain

LaurenBrianneLLaurenBrianne Posts: 25
edited 04/29/2014 - 2:18 PM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Please help!! New pain, what could it be??
Hello everyone,
For those that don't know my story, I have suffered from back problem after back problem for about 3 years now. It all started when a herniated disc me completely collapse multiple times a day for the first 2 weeks after I gave birth to my little girl. The chiropractor told me that I had a herniated disc, along with my hips being off alignment and one leg being shorter than the other, and I have a curved spine. I was made fun of for a limp that I had until I learned to control it in high school. My first question is, would this be considered Scoliosis?

I had a microdiscectomy last January for the disc and was better for about 6 months, but, one day, I started collapsing again and got the most awful sciatica, I just wanted to cut off my leg it was so awful. My neurosurgeon diagnosed me with a collapsed disc space, which I was supposed to have a fusion for, but my insurance has not yet approved it.

Anyway, the point of my post is, for the last 5 weeks or so, I have been having the most HORRIBLE pain in my thoracic spine. I can't even turn around to back up my car! I can't twist AT ALL or bend or reach. The problem has always been in my leg and lower back, but now I can't even reach up into my cabinets without shooting pain going both horizontally and slightly vertically from my mid back to close to the top of my spine. I don't really have much pain in my arm, but it does go numb and tingly pretty easily. Could it be that I herniated a disc in my thoracic spine? Or maybe it's just something wrong with the muscles? Since this is a new problem, my neurosurgeon that I have seen for 3 years is making me start back at square one by seeing my pain management doctor and considering injections... Oh, and the chiropractor also told me I show signs of degeneration...

ANY answers would be greatly appreciated! I am so miserable, some days I can't get myself out of my bed. I can't work, I can't push my little girl on the swing, and I try my absolute best to play outside with her every nice day we have, but I can barely stand for 20 minutes. Someone please give me an idea of what could be wrong with this area!

Someone please help me figure something out and maybe suggest things I can do to manage this unbearable pain. I'm only 21 years old!! I'm too young for this!
Lauren Davidson

• SarahLindeauSarahLindeau Posts: 767
    edited 04/29/2014 - 4:43 PM
    Have you asked about possibly having a thoracic spine MRI? I would think that they should want to see the images to decide if there is any obvious reason for pain being up that high.

That said, I had a fusion L4-S1 and I'm having pretty nasty thoracic pain lately. I believe, in my case, it is just the pain radiating upward. My muscles and ligaments are still adjusting to being longer (1.5 inches longer) and the stress is causing my thoracic discomfort. You may want to see if some intense sessions of PT and deep tissue massage would be helpful, and potentially avoid additional surgery.
    2015: Thoracic protrusions C7-T1, T3-4, T6-8
    Dec'13: 360FusionL4-S1 w/bone graft
    2013: 3x2-level disc injections: 12mo surgery postponement
    Dec'12: DiscogramL4-S1
    Sep/Oct'12: Bi-lateral Rhizo AblationsL4- S1