Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Facid Rhizotomy

mema6mmema6 Posts: 11
edited 05/01/2014 - 6:45 AM in Pain Management
What to expect after I have a Facid Rhizotomy. How much pain and what my limitations will likely be. I am having this done this Friday...5-2-2014.
Facid Rhizotomy

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • I had my RFA done on the 22 of this month. Afterwards, I can't say I had pain at all, just mild discomfort where they needles went in and that was taken care of with ice packs. My dr suggested I take it easy for about 3 days, I rested for 2 days and that was all the rest I could handle. On the 3rd day I got up and did some laundry and did a lil housework. I shouldn't have cuz it made things a little painful, but it was not an overbearing pain. 4th day I rested again. 6th day, I went shopping, I was on my feet for several straight hours and at the end of the day I noticed that my legs were NOT hurting at all!!! In all, for me, the RFA was worth it and I would, without a doubt, I would do it again. I see my dr in May for my follow up and I'm gonna schedule a RFA for my SI joints, which he said I could have done if I still had some pain. It's amazing that my leg pain is gone, it's only been 8 days for me, I just hope it last. One of the nurses told me, before my procedure, that one guy had it done and it lasted him 14 months, I hope mine turns out like his. Anymore questions, just ask. ;-)
  • mema6mmema6 Posts: 11
    edited 05/01/2014 - 8:09 AM
    My procedure will be done on the nerves next to the spine that transports the pain to the brain. The nerves will be cauterized.
    Is this what you had done? I will listen to your advise on resting. Taren, Thank You.
    Facid Rhizotomy
  • Yes, that is what I had done. I hope it helps to relieve your pain. If you haven't read the links Liz has given you, please do it will explain things in more detail. Please let me know how it goes for u.
    edited 05/02/2014 - 10:08 AM
    Home now. Everythig wet well. Tlme will tell.
    Facid Rhizotomy
  • TarenTTaren Posts: 525
    edited 05/03/2014 - 4:06 AM
    How are you feeling today? If you check in, please post. I have had a little bit of a set back the last 2 days, but it's still early. Like you, time will tell :-)
    edited 05/04/2014 - 3:35 AM
    I seem to be sorer than yesterday. My husband is keeplng his "eagle eye" on me so I couldn't do anything if I wanted too.
    What is happening to you? ...What are your setbacks?....You are 10 days ahead of me so therefore....I am very curious about what you are going through. (Maybe I should say nosey.LOL..LOL)...I hope you have a better day (& days).
    Keep your head up and ......THINK POSITIVELY!!!!!!!!
    Facid Rhizotomy
  • I am experiencing more pain at this point than I was the first several days after having it done. Things seem ok as long as I'm resting but when I get up and start moving around the pain comes back. Walking is, at this point,killing me, But, I do know that I could experience more pain in the beginning and that it could take up to6-8 weeks to notice a difference. So, I have not completely given up on the benefits of this yet.

Before having this done, I could have an active day only to be followed by having to 2-3 days of "taking it easy" now, I seem to be right back to that same cycle. I had a very active day Friday, with walking alot, now this will be my 2 day of ice,heat and not being on my feet and legs so much. However, things do feel better than yesterday but I also know that is because I was pretty inactive yesterday.

So far, I have had one wonderful day where I was able to walk and my legs didn't kill me. It was great!!! I want/need this to work so BAD, as I know you do as well. I was and still am hoping that this will work, I was hoping to have my SI joints done, but now I don't know, will have to wait and see.

Keep letting me know how you are doing with your RFA, 3 months from now we could both be running marathons, who knows ;-)
    edited 05/04/2014 - 10:47 AM
    You are a lot worse off from me. ....I have never had leg pain. ...Mine is all in my SacriliacJoints....I have trouble walking because of the great pain. My husband now does all the shopping and vacuuming. I need a wheelchair if I go out and have to walk far...If not far I use a cane.......My Dr. has already told me that I have so much wrong that I will still have some pain even if this works. .......I can work with that.....You are feeling now how I felt everyday for the last 18 months. I feel very bad for you.....I pray you will get better soon. Have you lifted anything?...That is a killer for me, especially pulling laundry and vacuuming..

Facid Rhizotomy
  • Well, ty mema6 for the prayers and well wishes. I sincerely wish the same for you. My pain is in my SI joints as well as the whole lumbar area. I'm hoping that this works because I want to have my SI's burnt as well. Leg pain is horrible, it's relentless!!!

No, I haven't lifted anything, well anything heavy anyway. I guess the heaviest thing I lift is a laundry basket & where it's just me and my husband, I don't have a lot of laundry. I do small loads everyday to keep up with it. Like you, vacuuming is very hard, also mopping is a killer for me as well--its the slight bending and the back and forth motion that gets us. But what do you do--I can't stand my floors dirty & I hate to ask my husband to do it, especially since alot of times he will vacuum or sweep and mop before he goes to work, while I'm still sleeping. Yea, I have one of the good'ens ;-)
  • What do I do with my housework? My husband is also a keeper.(46 years now). Bless his heart he does vacuuming and grocery shopplng. Our 2 daughters also help. I never ask anyone to help.They just show up unannounced and just do things. Even if it is just watering plants or binging meals or fresh baked cookies fo their Dad. Yes indeed very blssed........Im sorry for your leg pain. It must be awful having to deal with that. Severe back pain is bad enough. But both....geez....I hope you have a good day today...Today is my 3rd day resting. The sun would help if it would come out. Cloudy and rain is not needed.
    Facid Rhizotomy
  • How is it going? Today was the best day yet. It will be 1 week tomorrow.
    Facid Rhizotomy
  • TarenTTaren Posts: 525
    edited 05/08/2014 - 5:58 PM
    Hey mema6. I'm glad you had a good day, I really hope it continues for you. I'm doing ok, I think, it's hard to say. This I can say, I can walk farther before the pain in my legs start & I have to either lean forward or sit down. I sitll have pretty bad pain in my right hip, right side of my back and a deep painful ache all the way down to the bottom of my tail bone. I'm definitely going to have them schedule the RFA for my SI joints & see how that helps.

With the RFA, I'm not sure if I was supposed to have complete relief in my legs to be able to walk all I want, or is the RFA just supposed to work to allow me to walk farther than I could before, before the pain starts?? It's only been 3 weeks for me, and I keep remembering it could take up to 6-8 weeks before it works, so I still have more time for it to work.

I wish my dr had of done my SI joints along with my whole lumbar area at the same time, I think it would have made it easier to tell if this was going to work or not. I can say this though, without doubt, I am not at all pleased with the results I'm getting from it.

I do also have central canal stenosis at L5-S1, I'm wondering too if that is where all the issue lies & maybe that is where my pain is originating from.

Again, I'm so glad you had a great day, I hope everyday continues to get better and better for you. Please continue to let me know along how you are doing, good or bad. Take care, mema6

• I'm sorry you aren't progressing faster. Are you on any strong pain med's? This will be a busy weekend. Mom's day and everything that goes with it. Happy Mothers Day .( I don't know if you have kids) Im going to bed even it is only 9pm since when I lay down all the pain is gone. I read, play on my tablet and read. (& listen to my dog snore haha). If you are interested in being a Facebook friend we could do that. Have a nice evening and try to relax and not stress. I know that is easier said than done. Hold your head up and smile!!!!
    Facid Rhizotomy
  • I always do keep my head up & smile (notice my signature line) ;-) I don't do the facebook thing, I just never got into it. Yea, I know I'm behind on these sort of things. I just never had an interest in keeping everyone in the loop with my personal life, lol. Sorry, bout that. Thanks for offering though :-)

I'm assuming that you are feeling good after having your RFA?? I hope so and I hope it continues. Mine is still pretty much the same. I walk, it still hurts my legs. My hip kills me, beyond words, I still am going to schedule the RFA on my SI joints to see if that will help. If not, I will be on to give Physical Therapy a go, and then on to see a surgeon for the stenosis, according to my dr. I would just like some relief, I don't even expect complete relief, just some. Some would definitely be nice.

It's raining here tonight and gonna be a rainy weekend and that is not helping matters either.

Ty for the Happy Mothers Day wish, yes, I am a very happy and proud mother of an amazing, big hearted, smart, loving, caring & beautiful daughter. She's 24 but still my baby. I'm assuming you are a mom too, so I do wish YOU a very Happy Mother's Day, as well. I hope you have a beautiful day.

Keep me updated, I like to know this procedure has helped at least one of us ;-)
  • I'm sorry it has been awhile. I hope this finds you feeling better.
    As for me the procedure seems to be working.. The pain is better.It is more like a vey deep ache now.
    I am doing more but I still take a lot of breaks.
    Today is Tuesday and it will be 3 weeks Friday....
    I truly wish for you to get better. You are so much worse off than I am or ever have been.
    I will continue Praying for you.
    Facid Rhizotomy
    edited 05/20/2014 - 4:54 PM
    It is almost 1 month since the procedure and I am progressing. I have been lifting more and I did 6 loads of laundry Monday.I was sore but better. Before I never could have done that in 1 day. I truly hope this is finding you better. The leg pain must be horrid. I didn't have that. Are you going to have your nerves burnt? Have a good evening.
    Facid Rhizotomy
  • Are you alright?
    Facid Rhizotomy
  • Yes, I'm ok, just haven't been around much the last couple of days. Ty for asking. I'm glad your RFA seems to be working so well. I didn't quiet have such a splendid outcome. My PM dr said, it probably done all it was going to do. I'm still plagued with alot of leg pain, due to the stenosis. He didn't feel that burning my SI joints would do much good, so we won't be burning anything else for now. My legs hurt so badly when I'm up on them alot, just grocery shopping puts me in a tailspin of pain.

We are close to sending me to see a surgeon, but I will be doing some PT first. I will be getting PT for my back, hips, neck and my rheumatologist got in on the action and added bilateral shoulders, hands and elbows. My whole body hurts. They also think I may have thoracic outlet syndrome. Will know more about that one later.

Thats about all I know for now. Again, I'm glad to hear your RFA was so successful & that you are feeling better. Keep up the good work ;-)
  • Have you or your doctor considered that the hip pain might be related to bursitis? I had it in both hips and it made trying to stand, let alone walk, nearly impossible........it was horrid. I wound up having injections into the bursa in both hips and it made the pain disappear.I was shocked at how quickly they helped.......I am starting to get it again in one hip, and am planning on asking the doctor for another injection to see if it helps.