Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Spine infection

Since I have lost 46 lbs in 6 months without trying my infectious disease Dr is becoming concerned that the infection is back. I see him on the 4th to figure out if we are going to do another biopsy and start the IV antibiotics once again. I hated carrying around that IV 24 hrs a day for 7 weeks. I dont want to go thru this again.
All the signs are back, increased pain, low grade fever, night sweats. If so then I move into the chronic phase of osteomylitis. We were just waiting to see if my weight would start to level out since i lost my mother 8 months ago and perhaps just from depression. But with all the other symptoms returning it needs investigated. Things were starting to look up for me,new job with the same company just a transfer that will take place next week, I have accepted the death of mom and all that life has thrown at me the last year. My blood test came back normal but they always did. Only one blood test showed infection out of about 20. The biopsy is what finally gave me the diagnosis. Not to mention the biopsy is not a pleasant thing to go thru. Pretty painful. The Dr is concerned about the hardware in the lumbar area, I guess it attracts underlying infections. I always knew he told me there was a 25% chance of it coming back.I sure hope not. Now let the waiting games begin waiting for the appointment then the biopsy results. Just when things begin to look up it seems as if I get side-lined by another medical issue.

• WOW!!! I have not been here that long, but I have read so many of your post and feel like I know all you have been going through, since the loss of your mom. I think I came on about that time. The post your wrote about loosing your mom, it convinced me to pick up the phone and call my own mom, which is not an easy thing for me to do for many many different reasons, but that is another story for another day....

I GET what 46 pounds in 6 months means--its ALOT!! I know because I lost 43 pounds in 6 months, putting me well below 100 pounds...loosing that much weight that fast is serious. I pray your spine infection is not back, especially just now when things are looking so up for you, not that any time is a good time for a spine infection. Your dr. thinks your hardware is causing your infection? I assume, if it is your hardware will need to come out which means yet another surgery for you?? How long have you been getting the infection symptoms before you saw your dr, has it been for 6 months?

I pray and hope it's not another spinal infection for you. Many of us here, including myself, will be right here for you. Update when you are up to it, in the meantime I will be thinking of you.
  • I know what kind of a year u had last year and I am saying a prayer for you. I had also lost a family member and then I had C7 poking out of my Posterior Surgery from 8/8/13 surgery. I wish I could show you a picture it was un-real. I'm sure that biopsy comes back Negative. I can relate to all this, every time I think I'm going the right direction something else happens.
    I had a swollen neck, my PM said if it doesn't go away I need to see the surgeon. Well I've waited it out and no need to go back to surgeon Thank God, so I'm staying with a Hopeful out come for you Susan..

Please let us know how this turns out for you!!!
    ACDF C4-C7 5/13/2010. Synthetic Bone Graft Failed Fusion.
    PCF C4-C7 8/13/13. Rods and Screws Fused in 3 Months with Autograft.
    C6-C7 Spineous process Surgically Shaved Off 3/11/14.
  • jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    You and I have the same issue with the hardware popping out in the back of the neck, now with the weight loss, which i couldnt really afford to lose my hardware including the cage now can be seen. Ill have my son take a pic later and post it. Not attractive at all. My hardware in the neck has to stay per surgeon, it is the only thing holding me together. I do feel as if the infection is back, doc started me back on oral antibiotics until test are done. I was given a choice after the infection was gone to stay on oral antibiotics for a year as a precaution but stupid me decided not to. Due to the pros and cons of long term antibiotic use. That would of made 2 years total on antibiotics and it had my stomach tore apart to put it nicely. I try to stay positive with everything Ive been thru but good lord you would think I would get a break from alll these issues
  • jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    Im glad you called your mother. Regardless of the situation. My family is as dysfunctional as you can get but that being said I still love each and everyone of them. Ive watched my brothers and sister deal with the guilt they now feel for not being around, Thank god I did everything I could for her and spent everyday with her. It will be time I will always treasure