Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Horrible Night

For the past few days I've been having pain similar to that I felt when I blew out L4/5, L5/S1. Not only is my back hurting but the pain radiating down into both of my legs is darn near unbearable.

My pain meds take the edge off some, but the pain is over riding the medication. When I got home from work last night I cut the grass (riding mower) and took the dog for a walk. When I went to bed last night, I laid there flipping and flopping trying to get into a comfortable position. It didn't happen. I may have gotten a couple hours of sleep, but that's being generous.

Even sitting in my chair at work is uncomfortable. I'm on the fence about calling my PM back. They will want me to come in for facet joint injections which typically do help, but the pain I'm having isn't the same as when my facet joints act up. I'd love to get another MRI to see whats going on because something clearly is out of whack. That will be a WC decision since I am a WC case. I'm not about to go to the ER for this. When I went in a few weeks ago for kidney stones I feel that I was originally suspected of being a seeker due to the drugs I already take. Only after the CT came back showing stones in each kidney, they took me seriously. I could be wrong on that, but after they saw the report, they brought out stronger meds.

Back pain complaints by people who are already on pain meds usually earns you a spot on the "seeker list". Since I work for a healthcare system in town, that would be a bad thing.

For those of you out there that have been through a second herniation (of a different level) after fusion surgery, did you know right off the bat that it was a disk issue or were you surprised by the MRI results?

Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,865
    After my first disc herniation, I know almost immediately .when I herniated, the second, third and fourth. The almost immediate sciatic pain told me it was happening again. The MRIos verified that. One time below, the next times the same level.

Hate to say it, but after a while we become semi-experts with our own spine.

Hope you are just having a bad flare up and once that subsides, you will go back to what we spineys call our norm
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Keith, I'm sorry you had such a bad night and still hurting this morning. I would call my PM if I were you, maybe the injection will help you if it's just a flare, or maybe when he sees you he will realize that there is more and order another MRI.
  • I can relate to having so much pain. I am so sorry for you. I hope that whatever that your medical care providers do the right thing for you. I hate bad nights. I have them so often they wear and know how they can wear a person out. Take care of yourself first--lawns and things can wait or hopefully someone else can do them for a bit while you take care of you. I have to remind myself to NOT do things sometimes and put my body first not my daily goals, but my health goals. Is hard to do---very hard.
    Try to keep smiling and doing but oh sooooo tired of intense pain battle---tired. I hurt and know it doesn't define me but it sure does change things.
  • I have had the exact same experience.. only add increasing paraplegia below the waist, and all the horrific things that come along with that.. I have had subsequent MRIs, EMGs, etc and have been diagnosed with "radiculopathy" in L5 / S1 on left side and S1 on right side.. A new twist is the searing, unbearable pain that is shooting from my right hip and down the back, side, and front of my right leg.. It comes and goes but seems to be coming more frequently and lingering longer before abating.. I am eight and a half months post op for lumbar stenosis, L1 thru L5 and S1 (open laminectomy and decompression, but no fusion).. I have tried a lidocaine patch for the pain, and it works, but it renders my leg more worthless and weaker than it already is.. So, I am back to a Baclofen and Hydrocodone.. It works.