Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Do all disc herniations lead to leg pain?

I have bilateral disc bulge at L5-S1 level. I dont experience severe leg pain like other fellows but i seldom experience random burning sensations in both legs and on palm of left foot. These sensations come only on prolonged sitting. I have full strength in both my legs. I experience severe back pain on sitting. I just cannot stand at one place for more than 2-3 mins. Can I get better without surgery?

• I have two ruptured discs plus one bulging disc. Grade 1 spondyloesthesis (L3/4). I had such severe leg symptoms I couldn't walk. Mine healed on it's own- no injections, no surgery. Just took a lot of time.
  • Try to avoid sitting , as much as you can, and in case you have to, try to be active, dont sit for longer than 20-25 minutes,
    i have L5/s1 herniated disc, and i have the pain all the way down to my foot.
    i've been asked to rest on my back, do some aqua exercises and swimming(backstrokes)
    now may pain is 2 compared to my old pain . 8.
    have faith. but as buffgirl said. its about time.and make sure you dont reinjure it again while healing.
  • but to answer your question, no , not all herniations or disc bulges will cause leg pain. It depends on the location of the bulge or the herniation.....and if there is contact with the cord or the nerve roots.
    As to whether or not you would need surgery, no one can tell you that, other than your surgeon. It is wise to consult with one to see what the status of your spine is, and what treatment options are available.......he is the only one who can tell you whether or not surgery is neccessary.
  • the first thing i felt was pain during running. i stopped and tried to loosen up but it did not help. it went away then kept on coming and going. then it got so bad i could not walk without extreme pain. it was the pain in my leg that i had checked out and then after numerous tests, mri discography, nerve tests they diagnosed sciatica. i had no idea i had it. then 3 years later, pain in the leg which felt like a muscle pull. i had more tests of the same then the disc above the first one herniated and once again i had sciatic pain. the herniation was worse than the first. once again pain was the problem. the problem was the pain coming and going. one day no problem then the next bad pain. it was mostly in the right leg and the pain only went from the hip area to the knee.
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.