Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

fusion only option for L4/L5 bulge??

I have suffered for 3 years with what they thought was SI joint issues and have taken the shots and physical therapy, all to no avail. Had MRI done again yesterday and Dr says the small bulge at L4/L5that was present initially has grown some and since all other treatments have failed then I am a candidate for surgery and the only option is removing the offending disc and fusion. Why?? Why not the micro discectomy or something else? I know that most people who say that they have herniated disc are not having to do this and this is what is confusing me. I am always in pain with my back and down my right leg and my life is limited as to doing normal things and if I do them, I pay for it greatly later. If this wasn't such a big surgery I wouldn't be questioning it at all since it would mean being pain free and living normal but I'm scared and scared of it not working and all that will be for nothing. I haven't had PT since the beginning and think I am going to ask Dr to prescribe PT focusing on this issue more and if that doesn't work then I will have to be resigned to doing the deed. I know that after 3 years, it is obviously not going to heal but I am just not overly anxious to go under the knife and at the same time, sick of pain and limping and needing to be on a heating pad or the floor and no, family I can't go shopping, walking, standing or living because my back and leg hurt. Sigh...can you tell I'm overwhelmed??

So back to the original question, is this normal to be doing a fusion rather than micro discectomy and "trim" the bulge off the nerve that its hitting to cause pain?