He was awesome. He listened, he discussed, he was so kind and understanding. As all of you with chronic pain know so many docs don't want to deal with you beyond "ice and motrin".
He thinks my cervical MRI is "impressive" and expects that the neurosurgeon will recommend surgery and with my neurological symptoms he also thinks it is probably the best thing. Since his job is to keep people OUT of the OR, his opinion holds water with me. He assured me that he will work with the neuro, who he is familiar with, and my PCP, who he is not, so I have a whole team taking care of me and assuring continuity of care to manage my pain now and after any surgery. My pharmacist will also be in on it (she is also a personal friend) and no one will let me become an addict. I have to take a drug test at every visit, sign a very comprehensive narcotic agreement etc.... It really isn't an issue as the percocet he gave me just takes the edge off and doesn't make me high/euphoric. My good old flexeril though you will pry from my cold, dead hands.
The low dose gabapentin didn't do much except maybe help the twitching and fasiculations.
I think I am headed for a 1-2 level ACDF and maybe more. I have osteophytic foraminal encroachment at almost every level. Although cord is only compressed at C-5/6 and C-6/7 from bulging discs. Waiting to hear back from neuro. He reviews films first and then decides if you are worth seeing.
When the neck is dealt with we will deal with the extruded bits of disc in my L5-S1 space that are making me miserable too but they are just painful and not causing neurological problems. Hopefully I can get by with some epidural injections for that.
We need to get this done though. So busy this summer and dh traveling a lot and getting care for me and the kids will require some serious organization and it will only get worse come fall.