Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Upper back pain

I had this back pain for over the month now. It hurts during the day but not at night. It is mostly in the upper back, but than it goes kinda down the spine. Most of the time its just there and it does not usually get worst Sometimes heat helps but sometimes it does not. I tried streching and doing exercises but it doesn't seam to help. I am 47 year old runner who runs at least 50 miles a week.I felt the pain about month ago when I was driving to Vienna marathon. It started hurting in the car and for the next view days. I was afraid that I was not gonna be able to run the race. I tried to rest and lay down and that seamed to help because the pain was almost completely gone and I ran marathon, no problem. After couple of days when I got back home the pain came back and its been pretty much on for the past month or so. I dont feel it at night and there is none in the morning. But as the day progresses the pain comes back. It does not seam to bother me that much when I run. If I cary back pack or ride a bike and lean forward it seams t hurt more. I had scoliosis as child and I think that I still have it now. One of my vertebrae was always kinda sticking out a bit. I have no other pain or condition..
What could this be? Do these symptoms sound familiar to anyone?

Thanks in advance!

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • Why don't you try a sports physiotherapist. They should have greater knowledge about sporting injuries and should be able to work out what happened. I use a wonderful sports physiotherapist. She is a bit older and has lots of experience. She treats mainly professional sports people and has to get them back to their sport. She put my spine back into the correct mechanical alignment. After 8 years she is the only person who looked outside the box and realised what had happened to me.

I am in Australia so you should be able to look them up on the internet for your location. MD rating has a search for physio's in most parts of the world. You can also read the ratings and see which physio has the best ratings. I'm pretty sure they check the IP addresses so a Dr can't give himself/herself a good rating. There are probably other sites as well that tell you about Drs.

You could also ask some of your bike mates to refer you to a good physio who deal with professional bike riders.