Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

2 1/2 years after = now pain & fatigue

patrain17ppatrain17 Ottawa area, CanadaPosts: 103
edited 05/24/2014 - 3:29 PM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi everyone. I am 2 1/2 years out of a decompression and fusion surgery that left me fused from occiput to c3. The surgery as done a lot to help me and wasn't a choice. So, I'm not second guessing myself but really just looking for ideas to help me with my current situation.

The past few weeks, I've been experiencing more and more pain in the neck although I am taking some medicine (not narcotics) to help and receiving massages. The pain is really bothering me and with that I've been also feeling more tired than ever. Getting through my day is usually ok as I am really tough to pain and I love my work. I've been going to bed earlier than ever in my life and feel like I could sleep all day and still wouldn't be rested.

If any of you guys been experiencing similar situation please let me know I'm not alone or going nuts. Even more, if you have found as solution to all this, feel free to share it with me.

Thanks a million just for reading this.

• patrain17ppatrain17 Ottawa area, CanadaPosts: 103
    edited 05/26/2014 - 1:08 AM
    This situation doesn't seem to be getting any better. Need some ideas on how to control the pain. I figure if I can alleviate the pain, it will automatically help with the fatigue problem. This morning, the pain is worst than it's ever been.
  • Have you followed up with your Dr regarding this issue? You may need additional imaging to help find the cause of your pain. Trying to maintain a healthy lifestyle and getting plenty of sleep may help with the fatigue. When pain is severe enough it can take it's tole on the body; added stress doesn't help either. I would definitely check with your Dr since it's been a few weeks with no relief. In the meantime, if work is causing the pain to increase, you may benefit from taking some time off to rest. Pushing too hard may cause worsening symptoms.

Best of luck to you!
    Progressive DDD
    Chronic S1 Radiculopathy
    Discectomy L5-S1 2002
    Discectomy, Laminotomy/Foraminotomy L3-S1 January 2014
    Bilateral SI Joint Fusion and 2 level spinal Fusion October 2014
  • RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    Hey Pat,
    I remember talking to you awhile back as I asked you questions about my second cervical fusion, this time being C2 thru T3.
    I am 50 some days out and seem to be getting better every day. Your symptoms would be similar to your post-op recovery not of someone 2 1/2 years later. You are also correct that pain can bring on fatigue, but again, that is what I was dealing with for 3-4 weeks post-op. I had no cervical pain at all, just some discomfort that would be similar to a bad sunburn between the shoulder blades.
    I'd have to agree with Lcochran4, you may want to consult with your caregiver(s) and have some imaging done just in case there is some issues with your hardware.
    Keep us posted and let us know what you find.
  • patrain17ppatrain17 Ottawa area, CanadaPosts: 103
    Thanks for all of the advices guys! I agree I should take an appointment with my family Dr, but I'm so tired of complaining. He must be so tired of hearing me. I know I shouldn't have that attitude but that's how I feel. As for work, I only have 4 more weeks to go before the summer holidays (9 weeks off), so I'm trying to hold on to this. I've been also taking an extra day off during the week lately. It has helped me to get through the past month. What's really hard is that my workdays are never over. There's always something more to do. Planning lessons, grading student's work and more. What's worst is that the part of my work I have to do overtime for is the one that's really been hard on me.

Thanks for your concern Lcochran4 and, Ranger I am really glad to see that you're doing well after that last surgery. I too remember chatting with you some while ago.

I will keep you posted about what I will decide to do about this and any findings, if there are some.

Take care!