Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Sleeping meds causing more pain?

i am a slipped disc sufferer for the last 4-5 years. i have a slipped disc on my l3,l4,l5 + spinal cyst (posterior spine). i am a chronic back pain to foot sufferer. recently, i have found walking helps reduce my back pain by 90%! i was pain free for almost 2 months and was really happy about it until... i started taking sleeping pills (zolpidem) daily and my back pains came back in full force for the last 2-3 wks. I have had sleeping problems for a few months. I was just wondering if sleeping pills can cause serious back pains? I also have developed left eye aches! I am not sure if it's related to zolpidem but i am unwilling to see a doctor too soon due to money problems. So i stopped taking zolpidem last night and today my back pains were not as bad but its still there.

Anyone has the same problems as me after consuming zolpidem?

• I've been taking Zolpidem on & off for years & I've never had any side effects or increase in pain. Getting more sleep actually helps me reduce my pain. When I only get a few hours a night it becomes a vicious cycle of exhaustion, depression & more pain. We're all different though. There are some meds which members swear by here & I can't take them because of unmanageable side effects, often it's just about finding the right med for your body.
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • Along with more and deeper sleep is it possible you are taking different positions which are not healthy?
  • its called zopiclone and its awful .it leaves a metallic taste in your mouth I am on the old temazepam and it helps without side effects ,I should not think that a sleeping pill would have any effect on your pain ??
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • For sleep initiation and maintenance disorder I take Trazodone, it makes me sleep like a lil new born puppy with no side effects. It also helps with depression,
    Tony, I tried Temazepam with no results whatsoever. I'm glad it helps you.
    Eileen, I bet what is happening is when you take the Ambien your body goes into a deeper sleep, allowing your body to get into positions that it normally can not without the sleeping med and when you get into those 'forbidden' positions it causes pain when you wake.
    I, myself, have never had any sleeping med to be the reason I have more pain.
  • terror8396tterror8396 Posts: 1,832
    edited 05/28/2014 - 9:33 AM
    i turn on the military channel and or a movie. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • Are you maybe sleeping on your stomach? I have been a stomach sleeper my whole life. I had a fusion last year and started sleeping on a side with a pillow jammed up behind my back and a pillow between my knees; it prevents me from rolling into my stomach. From time to time I'll wake up on my stomach with screaming back pain. I do take Ambien although I recently started on Trazodone to try to get me off the Ambien; I get to where I take it too often.
    Lumbar laminectomy L-4/L-5, 2006
    XLIF with posterior pedicle screws L-4/L-5, 4-23-2013