Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Shoulder Blade - Arm Numbness

For about 5 weeks now, I have had the following symptoms/conditions:

1. Pain at and behind the left shoulder blade - Unable to lay on either side without sharp pain.
2. Numbness and tingling down entire left arm - sitting on hard surfaces or edge of chair aggrivates symptom
3. Left side Lat muscle and tricep muscle chronically sore...like after workout sore
4. Skin on back of left arm (tricep area) very sensitive to touch
5. Significant loss in strength on left side.

Pain was substantially worse 3-5 weeks ago...wasn't able to sleep at all unless on my back with left arm raised over my head. Went to the chiropractor and he said that it was a herniated disc in my neck...Primary care said it's a severely strained or torn Scapularis muscle. Both prescribed muscle relaxer and prescription Aleve, and Voltaren gel. None of this has helped...pain is not as severe, but all symptoms are the same. I don't know if I have just become accustomed to the pain...but still causing sleep issues, fatigue, and irritability.

I am a body builder/weight lifter...noticed first sign of symptoms after doing rear delt flies....went to the gym yesterday for the first time in 5 weeks...I normally move a substantial amount of weight...but noticed on my left side that I'm only about 20% of what I can use on my right side.....any suggestions as to what this might be...I'm getting very distraught as this is not getting better.

Thank you.

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,856
    Some points I would like to bring out.

• 1. Without formal diagnostic testing, a chiropractor or other medical professional can make a formal diagnosis
      2. If there is even a hint of a spinal / disc problem, I would suggest stop seeing chiropractors. They can cause more harm.
      3. As a body builder, I am sure you are accustomed to sprains and muscle pulls. Is this what you are feeling now?
    Prescribing medications. Tell me if I am wrong, but it sounded like you were getting medications from two different doctors.
    If this is correct, I would stop that immediately and stay with one doctor.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • etdsingereetdsinger Posts: 2
    edited 06/04/2014 - 4:21 AM
    Good morning Ron....I am only taking the medication from my primary care physician....doesn't feel like any muscle pull or strain I've ever had. Numbness down the left arm and severe loss of strength...soreness in the tricep and lat muscles....it's just a very "odd" injury and doesn't seem to be getting better...thinking I may be going to an ortho to get thiis figured out.
  • Hi, I can totally relate to you, and feel your pain, mine started 3 weeks ago today, I lifted something heavy and my life has not been the same, chiropractor has helped but yesterday referred me to Dr for some meds and tonight I am having a MRI so maybe will get some answers and relief. They are looking at a brachial plexus injury, you may want to look it up. The first 8 days were so
    uncomfortable had to raise my hand over my head to give it a bit of rest. There are some definite weakness in my arm strength, and some movements... hope you get some relief soon too .