Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Leg pain and lower back pain after 2 rounds of physical therapy please help me someone

i need some advice our some questions answered. this is a workman comp case and i had surgery in march 2014 i got hurt in sept 2013 i had the surgery and the doctor told me he could get rid of my leg pain but not all of my back pain well we tried the epidural didnt work we have tried physical therapy twice its not helping. my sciatic nerve was pinched for 6 months cause workman comp took there time with everything and every time i ask a question to the doctor he ignores it and everything. i need to know what i can do our what can i expect for the next round i have four more visits on pt and then i dont see the doctor for 2 months what can i expect if nothing is helping whats next please help me someone im tired of hurting

• First, what kind of surgery did you have? It is not all that abnormal to have surgery 6 months after you are injured, you are actually ahead of the game for most people. Surgery for many, with or without WC involvement is more like a year or more out from the onset of symptoms.
    You are just about 12 weeks post op, and physical therapy is not a miracle cure, it is a work in progress to get your spine stabilized, and improve your muscle strength. You have to work at it, both in and out of physical therapy.
    As far as the injections go, sometimes, they help and sometimes they don't.....You may be kept in physical therapy, for a longer period of time or changed to aqua therapy if they feel that might be better for you.
    What are you currently doing to ease the pain? Ice, heat, massage? Stretching will help tremendously but you need to do it religiously.
    Are you walking regularly? Several times per day?
    What post op instructions were you given?
  • Hurting0514HHurting0514 Posts: 3
    edited 06/13/2014 - 10:09 AM
    hey Sandi

im just doing heat ice and tension unit and alot of stretches 4x's a day and i had a microdiscectomy on march 2014 and my sciatic nerve was pinched for 6 months and im still having alot of complications with my left leg with the pain and still have pain in my lower back and i cant walk for long periods of time and cant sit for long periods of time long raod trips kill my back and leg and i cant put all my pressure on my left leg either im just very frustrated n discourage cause the dr promised to fix my leg and im stilll having complication and he just ignores my concerns and pain levels went to the dr the other day and he just waived off all my concerns and questions. i go back in aug and i have 4 more visits of pt what can i expect when i go back in aug if im not better by then

• sandisandi Posts: 6,343
    edited 06/14/2014 - 5:48 AM
    You are still in the early days of recovery from surgery. Spine surgery in most cases isn't an overnight cure to all of our pain.....The pain and cause of it were there for an extended period of time prior to the surgery. All the surgery does is correct the problem that caused the pain in the first place......it removes a compression or disc herniation but that is only part of the process. The remaining part is the recovery period, and working at rehabbing to get our best improvement post op.
    Since you had nerve compression, prior to the surgery, it can take some weeks and months, up to two years to see what level of improvement you will get in your leg. A nerve only recovers at a rate of about 1 mm per month, and depending on the extensiveness of the damage, determines how fast or slowly you will recover.
    That doesn't mean that you won't see improvement over time, you will, but it may not even be noticiable from one day to the next , but more on a month to month basis, or a change in sensation where one day you can't feel something but suddenly realize that you can. All of this takes time and patience, and working at rehabbing .
    Your surgeon isn't concerned because it is still very early in your recovery.......it is a process , from the surgery to where you wind up at the end of the journey. Hang in there.

• You are still in the early days of recovery from surgery. Spine surgery in most cases isn't an overnight cure to all of our pain.....