Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

bluemoonshinebbluemoonshine Posts: 26
edited 06/13/2014 - 4:09 AM in Pain Medications
Is anybody taking Zohydro yet? hows it working? I can't find much info on ppl using this med, It says its been available since march but theres not much talk about it. is it available in pharmacys yet?

I've always had good releif with hydrocodone and ive had tons of really bad side effects from ER meds mscontin, methadone, oxycontin op which I just got approved and am trying but having stomach pains with it so far, had the same problem with mscontin so I'd like to try zohydro if I can.

• and while I have read about one or two people being on it, many doctors are just not using it right now.
  • Hydrocodone has always worked really well for me too. There's just so much controversy about Zohydro at the moment because it doesn't have a tamper proof coating. My doctors a pretty brave one but even he's not prescribing it yet except for one patient who has a lot of skin reactions to other ER meds (That's primarily why it was released so fast according to things I've read online).

I'm trying Opana. Slowly titrating up. I haven't had any bad reactions!. I'm still on the lowest dose but it's some of the coatings I have had trouble with in the past. I'm optimistic ;-)
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • I asked my dr about it and bcuz it's still in a trial basis it's not on the market yet. It is straight hydrocodone it doesn't have a buffer in it which can cause an upset stomach. Also with all of the people that abuse drugs it's making it harder for people who really need it. I got that info from my dr. They have taken alot of the acetaminophen out of the vicodin so we are getting more of the pain medication but I don't think the zohydro will be on the market anytime soon.
  • but many doctors are totally uncomfortable with using it because it contains no abuse deterrant......and vicoden and norco, both medications which contain hydrocodone all have less tylenol in them now, than they used to contain, but exactly the same amount of hydrocodone they have always contained, no more, no less.
  • Opana is the number two for me as far as pain relief goes........next to fentanyl, it is the one medication that works really well for me, and is true to it's 12 hour dosing. One of the things that I really like about it, is that there isn't that 8, 9, 10, 11th hour drop off of pain relief.....it's consistency is something that I am truly happy with.
    My need for breakthrough meds has lessened considerably. For that, I am grateful.
  • Lack of consistency was something I disliked about OxyContin. I was moved to 3x a day. I also had to frequently increase dose due to tolerance more than other ER meds. I remember you saying you disliked OxyContin for the same reason. Have you found that you can maintain on the same dose of Opana well?
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • sandisandi Posts: 6,343
    edited 06/14/2014 - 4:43 PM
    Your recall is exactly what I said.......when I had my first surgery, they put me on Oxycontin, and the one thing that I hated about it rather quickly, was the fact that after a short time, it no longer appeared to be lasting the 12 hours it was supposed to, so we increased to every 8 hours, and it required all too frequent dosing adjustments .....I like a medication to last as long as it is supposed to, and offer consistent pain relief, for the duration of action .....I don't like having to adjust my medication needs to accomodate pain flares if it's avoidable..
    I have found that Opana is far superior when it comes to consistency of dosing, once you reach that magic baseline daily dose, it seems to be one of the few ER meds that continues to provide consistent levels of pain relief, for the entire dosing period, without the sudden feeling of withdrawal that I found with Oxycontin. I have been at the current dose for some months now, and am still finding that my need for breakthrough meds is rare, and the pain relief has been good to excellent for me. I am able to maintain at the dose that I am at, and hopefully it will continue.
  • Thank you. I've read a number of people complaining of stomach problems with Opana. Have you had any side effects? Do you take the brand or the generic? Sorry! I should of just asked you to write a full review. ;-)
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • Opana, it caused nausea......so I was taking phenerghan with it........then I went onto a different medication, and decided a couple of years later to try Opana again since the pain relief was decent, just couldn't handle the nausea.
    This time I am now on the generic since they came out with it and I have had no such issues. Just before they came out with the generic, I was on the brand name, and it also caused no nausea this time......so it is possible that the nausea was more from the NSAIDS that I was taking, then it was the Opana itself.
  • sandisandi Posts: 6,343
    edited 06/15/2014 - 4:14 AM
    I'll give you it, if not, I will try to find it...
  • Opana has worked very well for me. I take 20mg ER x 2 daily. I have noticed that at around 9 hr point of the dosing, it begins to wear off. It's not a sudden thing like Oxycontin was which is good. My doc gave me 10mg Opana IR for those times where it wears off and I begin to hurt again. Overall, Opana has worked best for me when considering all other pain meds I've taken over the years.
    Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • kevgokkevgo Posts: 1
    edited 07/05/2014 - 5:57 AM
    Zogenix has announced that the first abuse deterrent formula is expected to be available in early 2015. The next generation abuse deterrent formula in 2016. I am aware that in the US Zohydro has been prescribed to over 10,000 chronic pain suffers since it has been available in March.

Post edited by Sandi. Solicitation is not permitted on Spine Health forums. Link removed. 5.09 You agree not to submit or post copyrighted material, without permission, to forums on Spine-health.com.

5.04 You agree not to submit or post advertisements or commercial solicitations to forums on Spine-health.com.
    5.05 You agree not to engage in any solicitation either on the Spine-health.com forums or via email to Spine-health.com viewers.
  • Massachusetts tried to pass legislation making Zohydro illegal here. I've never had pain relief from hydrocodone, but feel bad for the people who it has helped, since this drug could be a great new med for them. Also statistically hydrocodone is one of the least abused narcotic pain meds, or so I have read. So it's really too bad that ignorant states like mine, would try to stop a medication that could really help some people.
  • Hydrocodone is either at the top of the list or very near the top of the most abused medications in the US. Simply because it was refillable, and people were getting it and misusing it at unbelieveable rates.
    It's a large basis behind the movement to ban hydrocodone in the extended release form because there is no abuse deterrant.
  • sandi said:
    I'll give you it, if not, I will try to find it...
    Thanks for the referral. That was a really well written piece with a lot of great advice and insight.