Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Very nervous because of post ACDF over activity

Hi. I have been reading everything I can in the forums here, and I guess I'm finally ready to ask my question. I am 60 years old and have gone thru what most of us have done--pain meds, losing time at work due to pain, physical therapy, epidural steroid shots, etc. My pain doctor finally referred me to a neurosurgeon. Within a week I had ACDF C4/5, C5/6, and C6/7. The post operative pain was pretty rough for a day or two, and I had trouble swallowing for a few days. I was sent home the day after surgery. I have been very self-reliant, and it is hard for me to ask people for help especially since my husband is not in good health and my mom is 82 years old. I have tried so hard to follow the instructions I was given regarding weight lifting restrictions and bending my neck,and wearing the hard collar 24/7.
I admit that it had to lift my 17 lb 13 yr old dog because she caught her foot getting out of the truck. My husband was in the drivers seat, so I had to grab her and carry her. I have lifted other things over 10 lbs out of habit before I remembered not to do so. I have reached my arm over my head to hang up shirts and slacks (my husband did the rest) several times. I am so afraid that perhaps I have done something that has damaged the fusion in some way. I am not scheduled for an xray until 8/01/14. I have been extra careful over the last few days. In my favor, I have been totally faithful
In wearing the hard collar 24/7 even when it is making me crazy. I am walking daily, I am NOT taking the dog out anymore (delegated that one!), I am NOT washing floors, vacuuming, grocery shopping, taking out the garbage I take my meds and sleep when I'm tired. So here is my 2 part question...(1) would I be in pain if I had done something bad? and (2) isn't there anyone else who has had ACDF who has done things that they probably should not have done and still had good outcomes? I really am trying to do what I am supposed to do, but this is real life here.
Should I ask for an xray early (I'm 16 days post surgery) or just continue to be extra careful until I see the surgeon on 8/1? I saw his RN four days ago, but no xray was done and she said just to be as careful as I could when I explained my concerns.I guess I need help from people who have actually gone thru this surgery. can anyone please ? BTW, I am feeling pretty good all things considered. I take my Valium and Norco only 3 times a day, and my right arm/hand only bother me if I mess too much with my computer/tablet. Thanks for any help you can give me.