Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Spinal Fusion Issues

MOJO77MMOJO77 Posts: 4
edited 06/19/2014 - 5:34 PM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had a spinal fusion, L-5-S-1, in 2007. Prior to that, diskectomy of L-3 on 2001 and the same on L-4 in 2002. Current issue is the fusion. I had been sailing along, with the requisite chronic pain, but it never stopped me from continuing as before, albeit more carefully. Then I had total knee replacement in 2012, the right knee in Sep/2012 and the left in June/2012. Did my rehab, which may or may not have led to a torn rotator cuff operation in Jul 2013. Now, lumbar pain again, which was normal, and after 24-48 rest, I was right. This last time, the pain has been there for 5-6 weeks and upon my visit with surgeon and the MRI and C-scan, it was revealed that one of the screws from my fusion has protruded into my spinal canal. Not, as disabled veteran, I do NOT utilize the VA for anything more than annual visits and Rx's, so they're out of pic. But I guess what I would like to know is if anybody has had this happen, or knows of somebody who has. I have been getting regular injections that "melt" away the scar tissue, and it really does a wonderful job. But, now I am freaking scared to death in this latest development. The surgeon seemed nonchalant, but that's ok. He sees this everyday. But I have to sit here every day and think about it. Anyone have any PERSONAL information on this condition? I get a lot of stuff of the 'net, but I would like a real-life story!
Norman B. Poppell

• MOJO77MMOJO77 Posts: 4
    edited 06/23/2014 - 8:12 PM
    Verdict is in! My back surgeon has scheduled me for a "hardware nerve block". I have already been told that I have so much arthritis down in the lumbar region that any injection is worthless. I read in another forum that the individual had to be held down, even after being put out. If they have to hold me down, I wouldn't let me up. Does anyone have any information on this "hardware nerve block"? I got the call just a bit ago, after the Dr was way gone EDIT, so tomorrow will be an intel-gathering day, but I hope someone out there can shed some light, so I know where to start! Thanks, and I hope y'all have a good one!

Post edited to remove political reference...Liz spine-health moderator.. Please read the Forum rules
    Norman B. Poppell
  • is similar to a nerve block, in that they inject lidocaine to see if it blocks the pain , but it is done surrounding the hardware. If it does, and you are fused, they may opt to offer removal of the hardware.