Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Cardio Exercise

I'm sorry if these are already covered else where on the forum, I had a bit of a browse & couldn't really find answers.

I had a Microdiscectomy at L5/S1

1. Has anyone (pref England - NHS) had a physio referral post op, to help/guide recovery?

I've not been given any guidance on when I can start doing more intense activity (other than initial physio exercises) & am not due to see my surgeon until 3months post op.

2. Does anyone have any idea how long I should wait before starting to jog/run? I've been told no contact sport until I've seen my surgeon, so I'm hoping I can start jogging/running before that.

3. & how about cycling?

4. Is it realistic to aim to complete a 10km run by May 2015?

Thanks in advance for any support/advice/guidance.
L5/S1 Microdiscectomy on 13th June 2014 in London, Uk.

• If you have access to a pool, try jogging in the pool at first
  • I would talk with your surgeon before you start running. I was aloud to walk, use elliptical, and bike but I'm not supposed to run. Running can put a lot of added pressure on your back so you want to make sure you're cleared first. You can always call the office and ask about starting PT. It's important to keep moving without overdoing. Ultimately it's up to your surgeon in regards to what you should and should not be doing.
    Progressive DDD
    Chronic S1 Radiculopathy
    Discectomy L5-S1 2002
    Discectomy, Laminotomy/Foraminotomy L3-S1 January 2014
    Bilateral SI Joint Fusion and 2 level spinal Fusion October 2014