Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

increase in disability payments according to social security

terror8396tterror8396 Posts: 1,832
edited 06/20/2014 - 12:38 PM in Chronic Pain
(CNSNews.com) - The total number of disability beneficiaries in the United States topped 11 million for the first time last month, increasing from 10,996,447 in April to a record 11,004,507 in May, according to new data released by the Social Security Administration.

interesting read about the increase of disability payments went up to over 11 million for the first time. if you go to the site, it has an interesting chart comparng the increase over the years. the increase tops some countries such as greece and is nearing cuba in total amounts that are larger than their populations.. why the increase you ask? i have my ideas but what do you think is the cause? wait a minute, my wallet is lighter now really a problem now since i have retired and have to watch my money more. it will keep going up and up and up and ..........all the way to the moon.. amazing more people on disability in the US than greece and reaching cuba.
I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.

• First of all believe or not getting disability is not that easy. The process of getting approved is long and requires that the person has to appeal the denials and finally go to a hearing in front of a judge. The whole purpose of why this is done this way is for those apply to think that they will not get it and will drop out . The average monthly payment is around $1,100.00. It is not hard to see why more Americans are on disability. Just look at most Americans life style. We eat food that are filled with fat and sugar. Even Americans source of protein (meat, eggs) comes from factory farms were Animals are kept in small spaces and are given anaerobic and growth hormones so they can send the animal to slaughter in half the time. Obesity is the major cause of type 2 diabetes. Type 2 diabetes was unheard of in children twenty years ago but today it is another story. Diabetes can effect every organ in the body - kidneys-nerves-skin-immune system. In fact there are more Veterans today who have lost limbs due to types 2 diabetes then those who lose limbs in combat in all wars put together. People can get disability for all kind of reasons but I think the numbers will get much worse in 20 - 30 years unless we make some big changes not only in how we live are lives today but also how we raise are children.
  • and I believe that in order to collect on disability payments, you must have enough work credits in order to even qualify. If you do not, you aren't even eligible.
    I have to agree with Jam661, there are a myriad of different reasons why the numbers of those recieving disability have gone up...