Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Have I jepodized my recovery?

I really hope I haven't.

As I've stated elsewhere, I haven't been given proper guidelines/restrictions since my Microdiscectomy 8 days ago. My initial recovery seemed to be going really well. My sciatic pain was gone straight away & it was just surgery pain & discomfort I had.

I went for a walk today, just under an hour & covered 2.70km (1.67 miles), visiting a cash machine (ATM), browsing a computer shop & buying a drink. I felt a few twinges in my previously effected leg whilst walking & have been in a fair bit of discomfort (back) since returning home. I just had a few more twinges of pain in my leg.

Did I over do it today? Or were these twinges likely to happen anyway? I'm just a bit nervous, as I was feeling good (leg-sciatica) prior to this.

Any info/advice/opinion gratefully received.
L5/S1 Microdiscectomy on 13th June 2014 in London, Uk.

• did you have any instrumentation with you operation ?? I learnt yesterday that the uk are still performing spinal operation without rebuilding the spine ie fusion and decompression standard practice in the USA but still not common here in the uk ..you may well recover from your quickly but from my own personal experience I have found that a laminectomy/discectomy without suitable stabilisation will require further surgery as soon as only a year after the initial surgery my first surgery lasted around 6 years then the second lasted the length of my duration in hospital I was in agony and no one wanted to touch me ..it all became clear why it was because too much damage was done on both operations because no instrumentation was used it was bound to fail and it did ..eventually I found a decent guy that would take me on with the proviso that I knew the outcome would be stability and no pain relief as the damage to the nerves was already done and nerves are not repairable once damaged that's it .my advice take things easy and in the back of your mind think that you may require surgery in a few years remember what I said in my PM to you regarding spinal consultant .if you need more surgery then make sure they back it up with instrumentation .
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014