Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I'm Just About to Lose it

I have herniated c6c7 and it is pressing on my spinal chord. I had this problem progressing for the past ten years until I had my daughter and have had pain traveling around my neck and shoulders and had to stop breastfeeding and avoided holding her and now she is 9 months old.
Not to mention my three year old is fighting for attention and trying to hang on me.

I have other health concerns to mention but this one is the straw that broke the camels back.

Surgeon says correction would be complicated because it's so clacified and encourages me to manage as I am on the medications I am taking.

The pain really got set in and I knew it was serious about 4 days after I joined the gym. That is when my world came crashing down a few months ago.

I have become much dumber, I don't want to go anywhere anymore, I isolate and I do not feel the joy I once did in being a mom.

I think about escaping by ending my life. This has been going on since I started Lyrica I guess. I see my shrink tomorrow. It's either lyrica, lots of pain, or gabapentin which I was taking when my daughter fell off the bed because of short term memory loss.

I take lyrica 75 2-3 times per day and meloxicam and flexeril as needed. I am trying to manage this with my thyroid disease and anxiety disorder.

I'm only 36 but I am falling apart. My first disc herniation was L5S1 at age 15 aqlso with no known cause. I have a degenerative type of problem.

• can alter some peoples mental state after all they are antipsychotic drugs with the side effect that they do on some dull nerve pain BUT they tend to be full of very severe side effects I would advise anyone that thinks they may be affected by these drugs not to make any life altering drugs .personally I can't take them anymore as they caused me to retain fluid to a dangerous level I could hardly breath and I was making bad decisions and become reckless with money whilst on the gabapentin and they did not help with my peripheral pain all I take now is oxycontin and diazepam .maybe you need to see your doctor to get a drug review ?? I went on a Friday as an emergency patient and he stopped my gabapentin there and then within 12 hours I was peeing for England ! and within 48 hours I was back to my normal self only 4 stone heavier as I have been on the drug for 8 months it took over two years to lose most of the weight .please don't harm yourself ..take sometime to reflect on your situation ..I fully understand that you may not be seeing things clearly right now but its ONLY THE DRUGS your not a nut job and I am sure you will feel so much better when you come off them but make sure that you get the ok from your doctor first your pain can be controlled with other drugs ..good luck hun
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • I wanted to update that I found a neurosurgeon who is much more confident in the surgery than the previous ortho surgeon who suggested I remain a couch potato. I learned from this, contrary to the website's advice, that a second and third opinion are highly important when dealing with any chronic problem.
  • I hope that you are feeling better. I read your first post and was going to suggest getting as many opinions as possible. I saw 5 ortho's total before making a decision. I'm glad you got another opinion and are on the right track. Prayers for healing.
    Trisha Butler
  • especially with someone who isn't confident in what they are being told by their surgeon.
  • Hi! I am new to this discussion board but not new to Chronic pain. I have had Fibromyalgia since 1993 which started in my neck and shoulders. Then a year later it started in both my SI joints and then in the year 2000 while I was doing work on my computer at home I was suddenly experiencing severe pain in my chest which I thought was heart burn so I took some tums but I quickly realized that the pain I was feeling was not heartburn so I decided to drive myself to the hospital. At the hospital they did a bunch of tests on my heart, took blood and did x-rays .They told me that I wasn't having a heartattack and then they told me that the pain I was feeling was most likely due to inflammation of the sternum and where my ribs join into my sternum. They released me from the hospital with instructions to follow up with my family doctor. I saw my family doctor a few days later and told him that I went to the hospital because I couldn't breath and I was experiencing chest pain. He decided to put me on prescription strength Naproxen in hopes that it would help with the pain but it didn't help. So I went back for another assessment and tried another pain medication only to find that no amount of pain medication was ever going to get rid of this pain and that I was stuck with it. I lived with the chronic pain in my ribs, neck and back for years and watched my life slowly passing me by until 2003 when my GP referred me to a Chronic Pain Centre for my ribs and I finally thought finally there is a place where I can go to get help with this horrible pain. I entered the program with high expectations that I would be cured of my pain only to learn that the type of pain I had was not the kind of pain that could be cured or really fixed and that I would have to learn to cope with it. I was devastated and very depressed and thought that my life was over as there was no way out of this nightmare I was in. I went through the entire program and learned that I essentially wasted an entire year of my life going to a chronic pain program that never helped me deal with my pain and never helped me cope with the other issues in my life that were caused by chronic pain i.e. depression etc. The only thing they actually did for me was drug me up on Oxycontin and Neurontin both of which almost killed me in 2005 and 2010. The Oxycontin caused me to run into a wall and pass out and the Neurontin (Gabapentin) caused my tongue to swell up and I couldn't breath. I can honestly say that I have no desire to enter another chronic pain program again unless I know who runs it and how it operates.

In the last two years I have suffered from a new type of chronic pain that has affected only my right big toe and now I am on long-term disability because of it. Last June I had a fusion of my big toe to stop the chronic pain but after the surgery I noticed that the surgery didn't help and that I was still in a great deal of pain. So the podiatrist that performed my operation decided that it was nerve pain and that I should have a series of injections to kill off the nerve but this too did not work. So this year I decided to find a new GP and get a younger doctor who would help me with this pain. He decided that I needed to see an orthopedic surgeon and see what he could offer me. I went to that appointment in July of this year and 3 weeks later I had another surgery to remove a rare tumor from the nail bed of my toe. It has not been an easy journey for me dealing with all these painful conditions as chronic pain has led me to severe depression and has changed my life forever but through it all it has taught me to never give up and to lean on others when things get really bad and I no longer have the strength to make it on my own. I have also learned that I am an overcomer and that I am very courageous as it takes a very special type of person to face this giant day after day. I realize that chronic pain will knock me down time and time again but I also know that despite this I can either chose to allow it to get the best of me or I can chose to fight and get back up!
  • Are you certain that none of these nerve pain conditions are related to your spine? Have you ever had any evaluation or imaging done to make sure?

I'm sorry for all that you have gone through but there are times when conditions in various parts of the body can be related to undiagnosed spine issues, since the spinal cord and the nerves innervate every area of the body.

• I know how you feel! I'm brand new here, had to find people that understand what it's like to fall apart physically. I've had RA for 14 yrs. I came down with it 6mo after a total hysterectomy(Tumor). Have had both knees replaced. About 8 mo ago I started having panic attacks. I guess I have low blood pressure which was causing me to feel like I was going to die any minute, totally crazy! I'm on Xanax which has helped me a lot, I can at least go to work and drive. Now I'm worried about my neck, it hurts a lot , feel funny pressure at back of my head, grinding sometimes. I know where this is leading.....surgery.....Please don't give up hope, some medications can make you feel suicidal, please tell your doctor. Keep us informed. I'm so glad I found this forum!